Displaced for a few days in Arcadia

one of the dinners should be laoxi noodle house in arcadia IMO, wife’s special house noodle, or with the change in weather, the lamb noodle soup, two choices, one with mao er duo.

there’s also a place on baldwin near cindy’s noodle land (liang’s kitchen clone, if you like liang’s, which i do) that’s been there seemingly forever but gets little press here. i think they’re very good, but i don’t remember the name. and in that neighborhood, you can always order a beef roll from 101 noodle house. they’re the same chain, and some allege that they’re all pre-made elsewhere, but i like the beef roll made in arcadia better.

someone else mentioned chong qing at san gabriel & las tunas. that’s not a bad option. if you’re willing to go that far, you might also consider the $7.99 morning soup special at sun nong dan on las tunas about 3-4 blocks east of san gabriel blvd for breakfast. i believe the special goes from 7-10:30am. i love their do ga ni tong (ox knee/tendon soup). it’s an extra $1 to take it to go.

2 Likes

Dai Ho (Ban Mien, Beef Noodle, Lu Wei meats, Papaya xiao tsai)

Corner Beef Noodle House (XO Noodles, Beef Noodle Soup, Hakka Mochi)

Lu’s Garden (Xiao Ye meal here…sweet potato porridge, Flies Head, Egg Tomato, Basil Eggplant, Squid)

Why Thirsty? (Haven’t been but they have a Railroad BRAISED pork chop rice, most Taiwanese places offer fried. That braised pork chop is straight outta train stations in Taiwan @J_L @beefnoguy)

I agree with @secretasianman on LaoXi Noodle House. The Wife Special Noodle is unique to this restaurant only and be sure to ask about the story behind this dish, spoiler: it’s kinda cute.

4 Likes

Nope just bad timing with assholes who should have called ahead.

I been various times and it’s always been there and always been great!

I’ll have to try Ruby BBQ’s duck but I pretty much order a plate of siu yuk and 1-2 plates of greens

3 Likes

not quite, the wife goes and makes up a batch for her mom and dad (or it could be her in-laws) at their restaurant in rosemead (she showed up once while i was eating there). but the story about it is kinda cute.

the wife’s house special noodle is a mix of vegetable, tomato & egg, braised pork belly & minced fried pork and just enough vinegar to keep it from being too fatty and too salty. it’s an amazing dish.

Which restaurant is that in Rosemead?

noodle palace on valley. i mentioned it here:

this is before i discovered the familial relationship between the two establishments.

whats that?

@paranoidgarliclover Since you mentioned broth-less ramen in the MoguMogu thread, perhaps you might want to hit up Menya Hanabi in Arcadia. I haven’t tried it yet, but perhaps someone else has already.

Menya Hanabi
733 W Naomi Ave
Ste K
Arcadia, CA 91007

2 Likes

They have a noodle shop and a hot pot shop over there.

Thanks.
Got a link to a website with more information?

and the googles reviews is how i roll

https://tinyurl.com/v3blu2k

Oh yes.
Thanks - I have been there.
Not bad.

LAN Noodle
SinBaLa
SinBaLa
Cindy’s Noodles
LaoXi Noodle House
China Red
SinBaLa
SinBaLa

1 Like

Yup buy some Sinbala sausages and a big box of the pumpkin mifen.

1 Like

i’ve not been there for dinner. is it that note worthy?

I meant going there for dim sum. I haven’t tried dinner there before.

Popped my SinBaLa cherry tonight. Not pictured: pork and leek dumplings, matcha boba, taro ice. All delish. Only demerit was taro ice not containing much liquid from a fresh root. Argh!

8 Likes

Just had an epic meal at Ho Kee Arcadia on Las Tunas. For a more down home experience, go to the San Gabriel location on Del Mar.

4 Likes

I haven’t been able to bring myself to head back to Sinbala since the level of their wage theft came out.

I’ve heard that the Ho Kee in San Gabriel has different owners/operators, despite keeping the name.

1 Like

Also, I’m glad secretasianman and myself point out some of the alternatives, because things here tend to skew heavily to Taiwanese, Cantonese and Dim Sum. And, without wishing to get into geopolitical matters, perhaps some anti-mainland sentiment thrown in for measure?

2 Likes