Ditroit Tacqueria

They’re posting on their Instagram 45ish minutes ago, so they do seem to be open. Let’s hope I can find it :joy:

Just go down Violet Ave from Santa Fe instead of 7th and you’ll be fine. My friend is the most blonde asian I’ve ever met(Hope that’s ok to say nowadays).

2 Likes

@not_tellin is right–just go down Violet and pull into the parking lot. You should be able to see a big DITROIT sign to know exactly where it is as you drive down the street.

Suadero Taco

This was a pretty standard taco–one you could probably find one just as good at any other taco stand.

Quesadilla Con Epazote

The fresh tortilla was really good, but it definitely needed the salsa that accompanied it to bring it all together. It’s a modest size and thin, but I’d be up to try it again, I just wish there was a bit more epazote inside.

Esquite with Chicatana Mayonnaise

This was the best thing I had. It wasn’t too heavy and weighed down by the cheese or mayo (which is quite delicious and has a bit of a kick to it) and the corn was deliciously sweet.

Tamal de Mole

This was great as well, and the mole is legit, leaving me wanting more. Don’t worry, I was more aggressive dumping the queso on it when I actually dug in.

17 Likes

Thanks for the report. Are these enough to fill you up?

Yes, I was satisfied. But I definitely still had room for another taco or a dessert. I could also definitely see some people cough @PorkyBelly cough easily doing a OOE because the menus isn’t huge right now.

4 Likes

Went today and tried everything. Interesting menu. Obviously the food is made with a lot of care. Favorites were the tamale, the mushroom barbacoa, and the quesadilla. Also, the churro was one of the best I’ve ever had, with a not-too-sweet chocolate dip that made me feel like I was in Mexico City for a hot minute.

As good as it was, I then popped over to the new Burritos La Palma window in Boyle Heights and got birria burrito that was probably the best bite I had today.

7 Likes

This looks good. I love a nice ice cream sandwich but I’ve never had one with a short bread type of cookie. Had to look up polvoron on the Google.

5 Likes

Iberian radar detects the word polvoron. Must investigate.

2 Likes

if you try it let me know, filipino polvoron (at least the ones i’ve had) are very crumbly and fall apart pretty easily. I don’t recall having the mexican or spanish ones before.

1 Like

If I remember correctly from an episode of “Good Food” that’s the origin of the name (same root as the word “pulverize”)

2 Likes

Same crumble in Spain.

I’m not sure how much attention Ditroit is getting these days without the Damian as a destination spot. But I got hooked on stopping by after seeing some IG story, and picked up a couple items for dinner.

Fish Flauta

Damn this was good. It’s filled with daily catch and comes with crema and an avocado salsa. Yeah it’s pretty big, but I could have had a couple more of these at least.

Brussel Sprout & Encacahuatado Taco (Gringa style)

I’d argue that Ditroit’s vegetarian tacos are better than their meat, and this was the best I’ve had yet. Instead of a corn tortilla, getting it “Gringa style” gets you a fresh flour tortilla with fried Oaxacan cheese, cabbage, cilantro, and onion. The combination of peanut mole and fried brussels sprouts is a winner, so I hope it sticks around.

The menu seems to be changing every so often, but some of the items like the tamale and the suadero taco seem to be pretty consistent. It seems like they’ve been flying under the radar, though they do deserve to get some shine. I also picked up a jar of their housemade salsa macha, which was fantastic.

14 Likes

We had just about the same order as a BangBang to picking up our Bavel order last week. Really impressed. The salsas are crazy good. The tamales are also great, though Ray Garcia’s (Broken Spanish) are still #1 for me. Can’t wait to go back and try more.

3 Likes

post-McCharsiuRib bang

located in the arts district in an alley between 7th pl and violet st, this place is a hamster haven. there’s free parking in a private lot right next to the restaurant. drive down violet and it’ll be on your left just before you reach a dead end.

ditroit5

amaranth horchata - agua fresca with rice, amaranth, canela and piloncillo
wasn’t a fan of this, almost no sweetness or cinnamon flavor.

pork belly & chicharrón taco - pork belly, chicharrón, pickled shishitos, onion, cilantro, corn tortilla, salsa roja
really liked this, salsa was great, wish there was more bites of chicharrón.

churro with chocolate sauce
delicious, highlight of the meal. this might have been the softest, fluffiest, lightest churro I’ve ever had and they jump to the top of my list now that BS taqueria is gone. @rlw, @TheCookie, @Dommy, @attran99, @js76wisco, @A5KOBE

pro tip: order this after your meal so that it’s still piping hot when you eat it, or just eat it first like I did.

20 Likes

Thanks for the reporage! Gotta make it over there! argh.

1 Like

Do you know if you can just show up and order?

yes you can

2 Likes

post-quarter sheets bang

come for the churros leave because of the hamsters

shrimp taco, poblano cream, rice, onion and cilantro, on a corn tortilla. served with our salsa verde
delicious fresh and snappy shrimp

PXL_20210306_232406650

PXL_20210306_232416423.PORTRAIT~2

PXL_20210306_232514424.PORTRAIT

fish flauta - daily catch flauta with coleslaw and cilantro. served with crema, queso and avocado salsa
no bueno, fish was dry and could be mistaken for dry white meat chicken.

PXL_20210306_232833503.PORTRAIT

PXL_20210306_233044623.PORTRAIT

churro with chocolate sauce

PXL_20210306_234449068~2

7 Likes

I tried Ditroit and it was pretty pedestrian given local options near by.

The drinks were a highlight, I got a pina, passion fruit and canelo aqua fresca and it was pretty damn good. Really nice finesse with the flavor of the canelo. The mescal margarita was also really good and not too sweet.

The suadero taco was bland and the meat was kind of chewy.

The chorizo taco was also bland. And by bland I mean the chorizo barely had any flavor and they put some pepperchini tasting peppers on top which made it sour. The potatoes made it even more bland. The chorizo con papa vampiro at Asadero Chikali a few miles down the road is a flavor bomb and at around 1/3 of the price.

The only thing I can say about the tacos that was semi positive was they were quite large for the price of admission.

The bright spot of the meal was actually the fish flauta which was totally opposite experience from @PorkyBelly , the filling was chunks of juicy flavorful fish and the condiments were nicely done. I can see myself ordering this again.

The mole tamal was decent, a little too sweet and the mole was barely there. However, unlike the two tacos, it had flavor and the masa had great texture. The banana leaf ? provided a nice flavor as well. A friend’s mom brought back a mole tamal wrapped in banana leaf from Oaxaca and it blew this one away in terms of flavor.

And the churros were excellent, only complaint is the chocolate sauce was too sweet for my tastes. The churro itself is awesome and reminiscent of BS Taqueria except the latter had a perfect bittersweet chocolate sauce.

All in all, seems like a quick bite prelude/post bang after Sushi Hide or Sushi Kaneyoshi for me. Drinks, flauta and churro sin chocolate.

5 Likes