Dive Bar Love

Your F*cking band played The Tattle Tale Room…sweet!
Chick drummer here…rock n’ roll baby!
:horse:

1 Like

Smog Cutter is more karaoke bar than straight up dive. A bit too kitschy for my taste - it’s best to go at the end of the night when everything is a blur.

1 Like

Every time I see the title of this thread, I hear “Radar Love.”

1 Like

I was there that night celebrating John Fante. I also ordered food and I watched as the bartender took my order and microwaved it right in the bag that it came in. Good times!

2 Likes

Smog Cutter is a good time though the drinks aren’t as cheap as it seems like they should be. The accommodating karaoke dj makes it worth it if that’s your game. For a quick drink or convo with a pal it’s nothing special. The bartenders are supposedly notoriously mean but I think they see such an obvious mark in a fat, aging male like me that they have always been plenty solicitous.

I have much love for Hop Louie. The surliness of the bartender is nothing if not consistent.

The best dive I’ve ever been to in SoCal is The Wreck in Lake Elsinore. The fact that it’s an Angels’ bar reminds you that you’re just over the hill from OC and Coto de Caza but The Wreck has no shortage of NASCAR and various other methy pleasures. Well worth a stop if you’re over that way. The last time I was there they were open around 9:30am.

1 Like

how much are the smog cutter drinks we talking about ???

it did look pretty fucking filthy when i peaked inside the joint.

bartenders are mean here, why the fucking bad rap sheet ???

1 Like

Not $$$ pricy but maybe like $7 when I felt they shoulda been $5. But take that with a grain of salt cause I’m the haterade-filled, poor asshole that can’t believe nobody is calling out Lodge Bread as greedy fucking wallet-rapists with their $7 basic loaves.

They say the bartenders there are ex-bar girls (in the thai sense). I don’t know if that is true or not.

I should also mention my love for Tonga Hut on Victory. While it’s a tiki bar and therefore not a dive, the Valley alcoholics who populate the spot on a Tues afternoon sure make it feel like the best little dive in noho.

1 Like

Tonga Hut featured prominently in Wes Avila’s Chef’s Night Out - fun to watch

1 Like

Nunu’s in SD, along with the Waterfront.
:beers:

Nobody has mentioned Elk’s Lodges. Both my uncle and one of my favorite professors were Elks. Those bars were great. Strong and cheap drinks, a time warp from the 60’s with plenty of cheap wood paneling. Maybe a bit too clean for real dive bar status.

1 Like

Various American Legions are also quite ripe.

Also:
Green Horse in Inglewood
Monte Carlo on 3rd & Vermont
Gold Digger on Santa Monica in S.Hollywood
Lei Aloha in Westchester
Tango Room next to Langers

1 Like

Way back in college days, after partying, we climbed up to the roof, where the mighty elk stood and climbed atop it , with our Champagne of beers and continued the party…good times, indeed!

1 Like

Solid!

Waterfront for Xmas Eve, used to be a blast for drinks and karaoke…
Love this place!
:microphone::beers:

King Eddy may make a come back. We can hope.

2 Likes

What kind of fucking bar opens @ 5:00 pm . Open @ 6:00 am .

2 Likes

Farther South:

Goat Hill Tavern - Costa Mesa
Swallows Inn - San Juan Capistrano
Turk’s - Dana Point Harbor

1 Like

Cinema Bar in Culver City - it has an infinitesimal stage, so small a three piece band couldn’t all fit. The only thing it has on tap is Jaegermeister.

JPs on 11th and Wilshire in Santa Monica - the kind of place that has a kitchen which is never serving food.

Any other West LA divey suggestions?

1 Like

San Diego Dive Bar List from Thrillist. . .

Been to most on the list and Pac Shores, kicks serious dive bar ass!

Love it!

1 Like