Do We Have Indo-Chinese Food in Los Angeles?

I just read an article about this intriguing combination and of course I must try it NOW. I’ve heard it’s common in SF, but I don’t want to wait for my next trip up there.

Has anyone here tried Indo-Chinese food? I think it may be called Desi-Chinese sometimes.

I grew up eating Indian Chinese food. I don’t really eat it by choice anymore. Imagine people who grew up in India getting excited about American Chinese food.

Yes! Indian-Chinese is one of my favorite cuisines actually. I haven’t yet been to any places here that specialize in it, though they certainly exist in Artesia. However, a few Indian restaurants in the immediate area (e.g., Zafran Pot, India’s Oven, and Mayura) serve some Indian-Chinese classics. Keep your eyes peeled for dishes like Chili Chicken, Chicken 65, and Gobi Manchurian.

That’s the perfect description. Over the years a number of places in Artesia have had Indian Chinese food but I never bothered. There’s lots in Dallas including a chain called Masada Wok which I found very meh.

I was at one southern Indian place in Artesia many (like 4-5?) yrs ago where they had a few Chinese dishes. I think it was Tirupathi Bimas, but don’t quote me.

While doing a Google search to see if I could jog my memory, I saw this:
http://nankingartesia.com

1 Like

It’s one of my favorites! In fact, I just made Indo-chinese Schezwan Paneer and Schezwan Fried Rice for dinner a couple days ago, with some corn and vegetable soup (Knorr brand).

Many indian restaurants will have Indo-Chinese food on their menus, but it isn’t always labeled as such. Look for Hakka noodles, Black Pepper Chicken/Shrimp, Fried Rice, Chilli Chicken, Chilli Paneer, Paneer/Chicken/Shrimp/Mushroom Manchurian, Schezwan Paneer/Chicken/Rice/Noodles etc.

We had a good Indo-Chinese restaurant near us called Bombay to Beijing but it closed up shop a few weeks ago. It was always empty, I think probably because people didn’t understand the food.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the replies! Now I need to find Artesia on a map and figure out whether it’s faster to just fly up north. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Annapurna in culver city has schezuan noodles/rice and gobi manchurian cauliflower.

Never had the noodles or rice but the cauliflower is delicious

2 Likes

And chili planner

2 Likes

Bhanu’s Indian Grocery and Cuisine in San Gabriel (intersection of Rosemead and Huntington, in with the Trader Joe’s and PetCo) has some Indo-Chinese items on their menu. We’ve not tried them.
http://mybhanu.com/page8.php

1 Like

Chicken 65 is not an Indian Chinese dish…

1 Like

My mistake. It’s often described that way online and I’ve seen it on the menus of Indian-Chinese places. But I’ll defer to the person who grew up eating the stuff!

That said, I do know several Indians who crave a good General Tso’s…

Yeah, well it’s a South Indian dish of relatively recent invention—probably at a restaurant in Madras/Chennai (though origin stories vary).

I shouldn’t throw cold water on your and others’ interest in Indian Chinese. I grew up eating it–which is to say that in my childhood when my family went out to eat at restaurants it was almost always to Chinese restaurants. My father was in the air force and we lived all over India for a couple of years at a time–I’m pretty sure that there wasn’t a single large town in India that did not have a Chinese restaurant named either Golden Dragon or Nanking or Kowloon.

When I came to the US in the early '90s I craved it from time to time, and on trips home would go out to Chinese restaurants in Delhi at least a couple of times. But once I discovered the SGV in the mid-late 1990s and began to eat actual Chinese food my relationship with Indian Chinese became entirely nostalgic (i.e. not about the food). But that’s just me.

2 Likes

I get where you’re coming from. I grew up eating Korean-Chinese food here in the US. I still crave it. But I crave the real deal so much more since discovering authentic Chinese food (esp. Sichuan).

BTW, I see Panda Express is expanding to India. I’ll bet Indians end up craving candied meat just like Americans do. :grin:

See, and I had never had Indo-Chinese food until we moved from IL to CA when I was a teenager. Since my parents didn’t grow up in India, and there were no indian restaurants in our area, we had never tried it before. But I grew up eating traditional Chinese food in Singapore (we’d go there every other summer for 3 months at a time to visit family). So I guess that’s why it’s always appealed to me – it’s different than what I grew up eating.

We were in India about 3 years ago and we ended up at a popular restaurant called Mainland China. Oh my God, it was so good! Indo-Chinese buffet – so many items we don’t see here in the US. They probably had 30 items, and all were being freshly cooked and brought out in small batches. One of the highlights of our trip. LOL

4 Likes

here are a couple of places you can try:

paradise biryani pointe in artesia.

http://www.laparadisebiryani.com

also tara’s himalayan which has a location in culver city and artesia.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ve been to Tara’s, but never noticed Chinese-Indian food on the menu. Maybe because I didn’t know to look for it?

1 Like

Just looked at the menu for Tara’s and I don’t see anything Indian Chinese on it. And the stuff at Biryani Pointe is just barely Indian Chinese–it’s not anything to base an opinion of Indian Chinese food on.

Tara’s definitely serves Chilli Chicken. And I’m guessing the “Chow Chow” Noodles are their version of Hakka Noodles.

Well, I don’t know how they do their “chow chow” noodles but that’s not the same as hakka noodles. Nor does their “chilli” dish sound like the Indian Chinese classic. It does sound like they have some actual Nepali/Tibetan dishes though–that’s probably a better bet there.