Do you always remove that 'layer of fat'?

Either before, during or after I’ll often remove a layer of fat. For example, today I made pozole. It’s wonderful. When I refrigerate it tonight, tomorrow there will be a layer of fat that I can lift right off. But I’m thinking that fat contributes somewhat to quite a bit to the overall deliciousness. What do you do?

1 Like

Good question. I like to use homemade stock after a day of refrigeration, so I can skim some of the fat off before using it. A little fat is a must for that overall deliciousness you mentioned, but too much makes soups and sauces oily. Plus, there’s the theory that along with the fat, impurities from meat rise to the top and should be skimmed off. Question - what in your Pozole was emitting the fat?

Pork shoulder…and the best pozole we’ve ever had at home or out. I’m tempted to leave it as it is. Or maybe take off a bit. I appreciate your help. Is ‘old’ fat worse than ‘new’ fat??? :slight_smile:

That looks delicious. It doesn’t look too, too fatty, but yes I would skim some of the fat that rises when cooling. You don’t want the fat overpowering the flavors of the soup. Question: do you boil the shoulder first?

I’m not sure what the question is? You mean like a few days old or old, old?

I mean, like, is it better today than it will be tomorrow?

I didn’t boil it first, as in then skimming, but it wasn’t a terribly fatty shoulder. Actually less fatty than many I’ve had.

This is so dang good that I don’t want to mess with ‘success.’ :slight_smile:
Thanks for your help. I always learn from you.

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s better the next day. Good question. I sometimes skim and save the cold fat for later use, like a flavored cooking grease. But that’s usually if I’ve skimmed some of the foamy stuff on top during cooking, which some say is the impurities from the meat. But you really don’t have to do any of that, especially on this dish, which looks pretty darn good. As soon as I can replace my Le Crueset - which is inexplicably shedding - I’m going to ask for the recipe.

When I make broth for pho bo I boil first. This morning there was a quite thin (both in thickness and texture) so I just stirred it back in. But as I said, this was a pretty lean piece of shoulder. The rest of it we had already ground for burgers and I noticed it especially.

Weird about the LC :frowning:

ETA:

1 Like

I never skim off the fat. :grimacing:

Husband loves oxtail and made using a madhur jaffrey recipe recently that called for cubed beef or lamb. She called for skimming off fat at end but I wans’t sure how I could do that without removing spices, so I didn’t. Husband love this dish!! Even as reheated leftovers.

IMG_20181109_161352|666x500

I assume it’s a matter of taste.

4 Likes

We both adore oxtails and these look insane!

1 Like

Hi @Xochitl - Looks good. Is that grated ginger?

1 Like

If you scroll down quite a ways, is this the recipe?

1 Like

The layer of fat also minimizes the chance of spoilage.

2 Likes

Really? I didn’t know that. Thanks. I love having an excuse for being lazy :slight_smile: PS: Glad to ‘see’ you back.

This is why if you make stock it makes sense to skim only when you plan to use the stock (or just the part you plan on using that particular time)

2 Likes

So even if I freeze it in portions for later use?

Not necessary if you freeze, but if you keep it in the fridge for an extended period of time, the fat cap keeps the stock fresh longer.

3 Likes

No, it’s fresh ginger I mashed in my new mortar and pestle. I got two at Silom Market - this wood one from Vietnam and a much heavier one, traditional style. Now I love to make things that the recipes say to put into mini-food processor.

The fresh ginger was available for a short time at my farmers market. The smell is incredible!

2 Likes

No, that’s not it. But does look good!

Found it here

https://goodfood.uktv.co.uk/recipe/red-lamb-or-beef-stew/

Oh yes, I meant fresh grated. My first thought was grated horseradish then I saw the cinnamon stick and thought “Can’t be horseradish. It must be ginger”. :slight_smile:

Off-topic, but here’s my little ginger grater.

2 Likes