Do you go to Grand Central Market to eat? Are you likely to go to

sorry was a goofy way of asking the question. Are people here who eat at GCM likely to go to 3rd st FM if options improve.

This isn’t a good town for bakeries. I’m still pissed we don’t have a decent french bakery option. Couple come pretty close though.

I’m thinking of something else, need a smaller spot. somewhere right in the middle

@ipsedixit - True. While everyone is saying GCM is better, they can’t stop talking about The Farmer’s Market. Nostalgia!

1 Like

I think they never fully got off the ground with Amy Pressman’s passing, then Hourie Sahakian left (I believe she’s @ La Brea Bakery now?) and it just slowly petered out. Thee’s had good rye bread! Hopefully they’ll get a good new bakery to fill the slot.

@Nemroz - La Maison du Pain on Pico in Mid-City. Not trendy, but pretty good.

@LAgirl - Yeah, Thee’s was our family tradition for Parker House Rolls on Thanksgiving and Princess Cake on birthdays.

I didn’t know about the history of Shortcakes. But they made a big splash opening, then just didn’t seem to have a presence.

I hope something good goes there as well.

Pretty average. I want something like every world-class city has. Like Ken’s in Portland, Nouveau in Seattle, Tartine in SF etc etc

Oh I see. When you find a spot let me know. I’ve never been to France, so not an expert. I have been to Vietnam and Maison’s baguettes remind me of the ones we would get in the morning with the sweet, dark coffee.

Plus they serve Potatoes au Gratin with their breakfast. Can’t resist that!

1 Like

It’s not bad at all. It’s better than most here but far from a place that draw me to it. Sycamore Kitchen has some good items, La Brea, Joan’s has a decent baguette, tarts and pies at sweet lady janes…

but not one proper place… so far

I hear ya’

I really liked both of her places, the hamburgers were some of my favorites in town. The espresso pulled at ShortCake was pretty good as well. I would always try and get something there if I was in the area.

1 Like

Yeah, Verve coffee is pretty tasty. I thought that the croissants were pretty good too (when Hourie was there). Last time I was @ the Market (a couple of months ago), we got some sandwiches and salads from Shortcake and they were horrible. I think they were running on fumes @ that point. then one morning a short time later they just shuttered (with no notice). I suggested bringing in a bagel bakery (real NY bagels) to the Market, but the powers that be want another full service bakery to fill that space.

What, Normandy doesn’t cut it for them? *tsk

I would totally go to the Original Farmer’s Market if the food were better. I would love, love, love someplace like Grand Central Market closer to me.

1 Like

There’s Normandie and also T&Y (the Russian-ish bakery) but for some reason they want another….

seems they want a good bakery :slight_smile: Those Russians are my peeps and I never get their stuff. It’s twice to three times the price as places under a mile away and less fresh.

I mean no offense to anyone who is affiliated with FM. Maybe that’s the problem. Whoever is making decisions food-wise needs a consultant to bring them into the millennium. If there is already enough dessert options in the market - plus Sprinkles in The Grove - why not a good bagel place? Thee’s was a longtime go-to place for certain favorites. But even he knew it was time to take the $ and go. I don’t know all what happened with Shortcakes and also Shortstop - but maybe they weren’t needed. Don’t forget Umami Burger is in the complex as well.

My family & I still go to the FM/Grove a lot. It’s about 2 miles from home and it’s good for shopping, movies, out-of-town visitors, etc. So with that, we can find enough food options to satisfy. But, I can see why people strictly looking for a GCM type food scene would find it very disappointing.

2 Likes

No problem. Farmers Market is one of my clients—the Market itself (specifically the marketing department), not the individual merchants. I can’t speak to their decision making process on selecting/leasing to new merchants (I know nothing about that). In recent years there have been some newer “modern” merchants like Short Order/Short Cake, Fritzi Dog, Dylan’s Candy and Moruno. Unlike GCM, FM doesn’t have a “master plan” to create a cohesive food concept. They are also not strictly about restaurants—it’s a mix of grocers, restaurants and specialty merchants (food and non-food related).

You forgot Bar 326. By far the best beer development in that immediate area lately :slight_smile: Great update.