Does anyone else roast chicken like this?

Bigger than what?

than Cornish game hens.

1 Like

Seriously, 12 hours or so, and youā€™re okay.

And itā€™s not really a two day process, itā€™s more of when youā€™re putting your weekly groceries away, plop the chicken on a sheet pan/rack, rub with kosher salt, and stick it in the fridge, next to all the other meat you bought for the next few days. Iā€™ve let it sit for four days before I got around to cooking it. Tasted great. :wink:

Definitely! And Iā€™ve even gotten WF air dried chicken and cooked the same day. You donā€™t get the brine effect but the skin is wonderful. Now if I could just find small birds. Maybe robert is right Cornish hens?

If you can find Sheltonā€™s in your area, they have 2.5 pound chickens which are perfect for roasting.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never brined a chicken in my life. Turkey always, but not chicken. Like @Bookwich, I do salt the chicken inside and out before putting in the fridge. But thatā€™s only if I feel like it. Iā€™m sure brining makes white meat a tad more tender and I can tell when a restaurant has done it. But I just donā€™t find it to be worth the extra step, if you know how to cook it right. Itā€™s my favorite meat, so Iā€™ve been cooking it since I was seven. Yep, my mom let me start cooking at seven.

Oh and to stay on topic - I do finger my breasts and massage my thighs like Ms. Judy :wink:.

1 Like

Hereā€™s the thread where I asked people to give their opinions of other recipes only if they had made the Zuni one.

1 Like

I read these posts again. I didnā€™t realize people consider salting a chicken to be brining. Then okay, I do brine my chicken sometimes :wink:.

That was a good thread cath.

Thanks, TC. Itā€™s why I donā€™t use another method. A lot of those people are/were far better books than I. I try not to reinvent the wheel.

Very user friendly siteā€¦to find out theyā€™re not withing 250 miles of me :frowning: Ah well, thanks anyway.

Dry brine though - needs more time. I love the bread salad recipe.
As a Valentineā€™s Day/her boyfriendā€™s birthday present I sent ebeth to Zuni for roast chicken. They were very happy. Love the salad as well - slight change after Judyā€™s death - they roast the greens now. I tried it and it is great. Such a shame she passed at such a young age. I grow red mustard greens in the backyard in her honor.

Zuni picture!

2 Likes

Her death really rocked the food world.

Interesting about the salad. Iā€™m doing a couple of enormous bone-in, skin-on breasts (over 3# for TWO) this weekend when some family is coming up. Maybe Iā€™ll do that salad. The little grands wonā€™t eat it but they donā€™t eat salad - other than the non-lettuce components - but the four adults sure will.

Of course they do. Itā€™s easy sheet-pan cooking for the line, compared to actually sautĆ©ing or braising a vegetable.

Hereā€™s the recipe:

I have it, thanks.

So itā€™s actually more work - not much - to roast rather than leave fresh.

Iā€™ve never heard of roasting arugala.

Hmm. Iā€™ve tossed it onto roasting vegetables many times.