Dongpo Kitchen Opens In Universal Studios Citywalk

Odd is one word for it.

as someone living in the SFV, I’m going to put good money saying that donpo kitchen will be the best (possibly only?) sichuan in the area.

now they just need to get on grubhub/doordash/postmates.

1 Like

Looking over MD’s menu, I see some overlap or some (vaguely) similar dishes to Newport. I guess those would be fair to compare? How do the same/similar dishes compare between the two?

I never really considered Newport to be a place for Szechwan dishes. Any suggestions/secrets?

Actually, no.

thanks but

Northridge

Didn’t mean to imply (much less say) that New Port was Sichuan. I only mentioned New Port because @linus said he was looking for “nearby chinese” and mentioned Pine & Crane as a possibility, which can be considered Sichuanese as easily as Trump can be with the Dali Lama.

Well parking makes it impractical for anyone except a park visitor to eat there. The most proximate parking is $40, then $30 for a little further out and $18 for general parking. I saved a few bucks by parking short term in one of the hotel parking lots.

yes, ipse is correct. i meant chinese food in general.

that’s why they need to get on that doordash/grubhub/postmates wagon.

Here’s a tip.

Park your car in the In N Out lot on Cahuenga (and Regal), just on the outskirts of Universal Studios Citywalk, and then Uber your way into the park, either directly in or in a nearby hotel to walk over.

Is it really worth all that hassle to save $9? You might as well park over on Weddington and walk to the redline shuttle at the base of the hill - free (assuming you don’t get a ticket).

I pass no judgment on what is worthwhile, just noting an option for those who wish (1) to park outside of the park and (2) partake of Dongpo.

Qin West

+1 here
Qin West, Newport Seafood, ROC (if you order carefully) and Dongpo are all almost as good as the SGV

qin west is swell, but when i went, the swell stuff was
limited to, what, maybe four items. that said, those four items were swell.
but, and i don’t know if i’m allowed to talk about this here, my esteemed
uncle in law, who previously loved the place and lived nearby, had a
“problem” with his noodles one occasion, and the folks at qin west acted, um, unkindly.
thus we haven’t returned.

i guess i don’t count that place because there were just a few dishes the cognoscenti
big-upped as being top notch.
this may be short sighted.

i thought roc was straight outta mehville. dongpo outpaced it for me.

1 Like

Qin West isn’t even very good in Chinatown.

Their Beijing yogurt is good, but then they buy that stuff.

I like Meizhou Dongpo better than Qin West personally. A lot better, actually.

me too
but I enjoy the limited things at qin
The twice cooked pork (ordered xtra spicy) is wonderous

1 Like

Plus you get the wonderful Dongpo hat trick.

What do you recommend? I find the first (and only visit) so blah that I was not tempted to return. Had the XLB, scallion pancakes, and I think the siu mai.