Downtown Afternoon Place?

ha, yeah i think there’s some rule about trendiness being inversely proportional to comfort. someone more talented than I could probably make a graph.

I have found Blue Bottle (FKA Handsome) to be a totally decent place to sit, and Blacktop has one or two decent spots if you can get them. Stumptown has a lot of sort of awkward open space inside but the little tables and chairs out front are totally tolerable. But yes, on the whole there are a lot of more comfortable coffee shops with coffee that is just as good outside of that little bubble.

Thanks so much, @ebethsdad. You made my day! Ha, I kinda wish I wasn’t such a tea fanatic. I overindulged on the caffeine and am worried about the inevitable insomnia that’s going to ensue! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::tea:

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the ideas - I appreciate the input greatly! The time is definitely limiting and her high end taste, style and experiences makes this even more challenging. I am still pondering…any ideas in areas not too far away (like a half hour drive time or so) would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks @MaladyNelson for this great review and the pictures. I was pondering going to the sale myself today as I was halfway downtown but didn’t end up going. I’ve given their tea sets as gifts - including to the visitor this thread is about. Since we share the same opinion on afternoon tea from the other thread, is this a nice enough place (I would be going to the Peninsula if the timing was right)? I know that they are totally different aesthetics/experiences, but nice/high end can take different forms (in my opinion).

Many thanks!
Heidi

@MaladyNelson terrific write up has probably answered your question already, but yeah it’s definitely not a high tea kind of setup.

Thank you for your kind words, @heidi and @ipsedixit. I would definitely recommend American Tea Room for a high-end experience, but with a few caveats. The parking was a bit tricky, and I had to circle around the area three or four times to find a parking space on the street, but this could be due to the popularity of the sale. The tables inside seemed cramped, but this again was due to extra tables being used for sale items. The patio with the vertical garden seemed to be the nicest space, but the neighborhood is quite industrial, and there’s quite a bit of traffic on that stretch of Santa Fe. However, a visit to American Tea Room would be a nice complement to a bit of shopping at Poketo and/or Apolis - sort of the same urban, well-curated aesthetic.

I’m not sure if the afternoon tea at American Tea Room would seem to be too austere. That said, I’ve never been disappointed by the baked goods from Valerie Confections - their supplier. You might be better off with their tea and a salad or sandwiches. Here’s a link to their menu: http://americantearoom.com/pages/cafe-menu

Good luck with your search. Cheers!

@heidi, how about a lunch/snack at Otium? They won’t have the great selection of tea that American Tea Room has, but their coffee and tea are of very good quality. Although I haven’t had a meal at Otium, I thought that Otium On The Go’s persimmon cake was very sophisticated and moreish.

Well if you are staying up late I must reassert that was really good writing. I hope you notice several others have affirmed this, praise from ispsedixit is to be valued, and I hope you will post more.

1 Like

You are far too kind, @ebethsdad! :blush: I truly appreciate your encouragement. Here’s to many happy meals in 2016. Cheers!

My recommendation would be Verve.

Perch.

Love the room, but the food is so extraordinarily mediocre.

New: Fritzi is open from 11:30 and doesn’t close after lunch. In the late afternoon there is actually parking by Traction, and they have (rather pricey) cocktails ALL DAY. Still not as nice as Zinc bar, environment wise but…

https://www.instagram.com/p/BA-UjWgrh0d/?taken-by=fritzidtla

h/t ig @fritzidtla.

menu per EaterLA here: Neal Fraser's Fritzi Finally Unlocks Affordable, Quality Eats in the Arts District - Eater LA

Is the dish in the upper right-hand corner brussel sprouts + … PASTA?

manchego.

Thanks @TonyC. What do you like there?

Hey that reminds me about a nearby watering hole… Is Officine Brera open yet?

Not till Feb. 5th.

I wanted to again thank everyone for the input. Without a clear winner in my mind on somewhere to go and be able to talk leisurely, we ended up having beverages at her hotel and then a 6pm dinner at Ford’s Filling Station. It was my first time there and we shared lots of dishes which were ok to good, but different enough from her normal routine to be a good choice. All in all, the primary goal was met as we had six hours to talk and catch up in nice atmospheres without feeling that we had to leave/give up the table.

I now have some good suggestions for downtown places thanks to all of you. The chicken in the picture above looks great and I also have a solid idea what to expect when I make it down to American Tea Room.

2 Likes