Downtown LA after the Broad with kids

Perhaps Blue Cow or Nickel Diner.

Don’t trust Simbal, and Lil Sis will be super hectic to bring lil kids to.

BS is very quiet and intimate and would probably work out great, tons of small plates to try as well, and semi-familiar things like quesadillas that the kids are sure to enjoy I imagine.

GCM is a great choice but want to do something different. We’ve been there a bunch.

Chinatown we ruled out bc we go to SGV fairlyoften.

At this point I narrowed down to Otium, Marugame Udon/Suehiro or BS Taqueria.

Thanks everybody.

I think what was meant was the sort of revival movement of “trendier” restaurants in Chinatown like Little Jewel, Orleans & York, Pok Pok, Chego, etc…

1 Like

Totally blanked on those. Maybe we’ll do Pok Pok. Still haven’t been able to try yet.

Blue Cow is fun but reminder: they’re only open on Saturday dinner, not Sunday. Super kids friendly, wooden round booths for runts to move about, also have outdoor seating that overlooks the fountain (not working?).

Outside patio better for kids than cramped inside seating; $6 beer opening fee, bring grumbler from Mumford. Skip the khao soi, wings, kaeng om neua, skip the larp pet, skip…

My go-to around the area is Pitfire, because Straus soft serve, and they gift little packets of clay. I don’t know why America insists on playdoh when modeling clay is far superior.

line is ridic but omg so good.

I, too, recommend Marugame Monzo. I may have been lucky, but the lines have either been nonexistent or very short whenever I went. (Much longer ones at Daikokuya next door.)

Depending on the day, an outdoor table at Cafe Pinot may be a good option.

BS Taqueria recently took a bit of a dive in quality I feel… but it could be fun.

Why not Broken Spanish? Otium surely costs more than BS. So I don’t get why that left the running? BS would be far less hectic than the others.

I know this thread is ancient, but I was browsing DTLA options. I’m cracking up because it reminds me of my family; everyone is talking smack and being pretty darn funny while doing so. When did you all get so thoughtful and polite? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’d take my kid to KTown from there… it’s like 3 miles… or to Lasa, he loved it…

1 Like

I’m aiming for 5pm Bestia.

1 Like

I just took some kids to BS Taqueria. The churros! I’m now their favorite adult. Plus, a bus-boy did magic tricks for them.

1 Like

You are a good dad.

1 Like

I try

1 Like

I agree – Otium is a casual place. I saw a girl in umbro-type shorts this weekend for Brunch.

Mexicali Taco is a short 5 minute drive. And they have nachos.