Downtown Los Angeles Lunch

Yes! I’ve been going to GCM (see my selfless pot pie reports). I really enjoyed the salmon bowl I got from Mark Peel’s place.

2 Likes

Shiku.

To address your catering needs–I’m a Lemonade fan and they have a couple DTLA locations–though I know that’s like Tender Greens adjacent.

RiceBox, Yuko Kitchen, and KazuNori are also near-by solid lunch options.

4 Likes

There’s also a Guisados down there, the remaining Centeno spots, and I think e stretto makes some very solid sandwiches. I had a pretty good meal at Casa La Doña once a long time ago - tons of salsas, some interesting dishes. People also like Uncle Paulie’s, though I haven’t been myself.

4 Likes

I’m back in the office once a week in the same area (the Gas Co. Tower across the street from Pershing), and here are some places within walking distance:

• e Stretto

• GCM (incl. DTLA Cheese, Sari Sari, Shiku, Sticky Rice, Wexler’s) - note that foot traffic is back to pre-COVID levels

• KazuNori

• Maccheroni Republic

• Madame Monsieur

• Marugame Udon

• Petite Peso

• Pitchoun

• Shake Shack (there’s a new location in the Wells Fargo food court)

• Spring Street Arcade (Guisados, RiceBox)

• Sultan Chicken

• Tacos 1986

• Looks like Zankou just opened on 7th/Grand

• Other chains: Tender Greens, Mendocino Farms, Halal Guys

• Haven’t done this yet since going back in, but I used to take the DASH to Chinatown or Little Tokyo on slower days as well

15 Likes

i love it when Great Eater Chris blesses us with his presence.

8 Likes

Great eater indeed. I can’t get anything past him, dude called me out for not using beef jerky for the la mora x fly by jing collab, smh. @chrishei

3 Likes

Thank you, all! We had Pitchoun for lunch. Very good and nice to have beautiful desserts to choose from when you’re eating a group lunch. I had the chocolate chip cookie, which I thought was too sweet.

We also had drinks (no food) at LA Athletic Club. I’m mentioning this as the member said they just restarted food and bev service.

3 Likes

I liked KazuNori a lot. Is there a line at lunch?

Warrior: I think Anwar’s Kitchen and Z Falafel are better than Zankou, which is fine but the chicken is too dry. I like Dona Iñez more than the Mexican / taco places people have mentioned above. At GCM, I think Shiku is far and away the best choice, but I like several other options: Ramen Hood, DTLA Cheese, and Wexler’s. Peony and I have posted before about Little Llamas Peruvian Tacos; I would rank that restaurant higher than any place in GCM except Shiku. In the Arts District, Bridgetown Roti and the new ramen place Afuri are both good. Mex Peru Gipsy has good aji de gallina.

2 Likes