Dragon Beaux

High end for dim sum.

http://dragonbeaux.com/menus/

I eat dim sum for breakfast. Their hours are a deal breaker for me. And it is expensive. And the name is ridiculous IMneverHO.

1 Like

Forgot to mention there are no carts, you mainly order off the menu but there are servers walking around with food items.

Well, that’s a plus. I far prefer menus rather than carts.

I’m not really in the dim sum game, but will be up in SF. Sort of curious what makes this far superior to places like Sea Harbour in LA?

Good question. Let’s see what chandavki has to say.

For me, it’s the quality and their ability to execute all the traditional dishes well and also offer a variety of non-traditonal dishes you don’t normally see at dim sum.

You’re also not eating in some carpeted banquet hall, if you care about that sort of thing.

And that roasted pork belly…

I agree with you. Do you prefer Dragon Beaux to Koi Palace (despite the common lineage?)

i prefer dragon beaux, mainly because i’ve had better success actually getting a table at DB than KP.

When you made a reservation at Dragon Beaux, was it for a busy time, and did they seat you promptly?

Koi Palace pretends to take reservations, but unlike Yank Sing they don’t honor them.

Dragon Beaux is the truth. Their hot pot dinners are pretty good too, but you have to have the taste for HK Cantonese style “da bin lo” to appreciate it. It can add up, since they charge for each item, and you can kick it up multiple notches by adding various seafood, in addition to the typical thin meat slices.

1 Like

i’ve only made reservations for their opening time, which they honored. I haven’t tried their “priority waitlist”.

Which places have you gone in LA, and which dim sum items at Dragon Beaux are “non-traditional”?

With the caveat that I have not gone to Dragon Beaux, looks like SF prices, but otherwise doesn’t look that remarkable (though the prices are certainly high, even compared to the higher end places in LA).

elite, sea harbour, dtf.

items from the specials section, mushroom and truffle bao, abalone tart, duck burrito, xlb, desserts…

1 Like

Fish Chip Red Rice Roll, XO Pan Seared Rice Roll…

1 Like

Well I still don’t know why people would lump DTF with Cantonese dim sum places as DTF is not Cantonese dim sum and shouldn’t be treated as such in my opinion…

But I’d also say Dragon Beaux > Koi Palace. At least at Dragon Beaux the waiting process is much more simpler and straightforward and I’ve never had to wait more than 45 minutes for a table. Other inventive items include the chilled honey bitter melon, bitter melon and chicken rice roll, sea cucumber and fish millet congee, etc.

Their hot pot is also good, by the way. It’s also the only really Cantonese hot pot in the Bay Area (or dare I say the US?).

1 Like

Yank Sing first started serving XLB’s. People gradually associate it with dim sum. I notice this when reading Yelp reviews from Bay Area Yelpers.

In SGV, we don’t really do that. If you want XLB, you go to a Shanghainese place. DTF is not dim sum, it is Taiwanese style Shanghainese food.

1 Like

Another viist:

2 Likes

It’s not strictly a bay area phenomena. I’ve had XLB during dim sum in Singapore. Some reasons it is popular in the Bay Area include the worldwide popularity of XLB, the lack of quality in local Shanghainese places, bulk suppliers of frozen XLB, and the availability of machines to form the XLB ( that is what koi palace and Dragon beaux use)

If I arrive by 11 on a weekday without a reservation, will I be seated immediately?