Dried or Frozen Hominy (Posole) or Your Best Mexican Food Tips or Questions

I’m not a pincher anymore. Too dangerous.

1 Like

Yeah… but you probably know more than most of us. Of course, there will be the ocassional jerk who “knows everything”, who will dispute everything. But no worries we’ll just pile up on him or her.

2 Likes

This is the corn that has been cooked with cal, skins removed and then dried again.
You just need to soak and simmer.

1 Like

This is the cooked version. The cooked hominy starts to “flower” on its own so you don’t have to de-germ it.

1 Like

…and just for kicks, this is dried red hominy. It’s pretty great.

My soapbox lecture is how is it possible we can name all sorts of regional Italian pastas and yet food indigenous to the Americas is exotic. As we redefine what American cuisine is, we should take ingredients into account, along with influences from Asia and Europe. End of rant!

2 Likes

ok thanks… so i still have some left… do i just boil the crap out of them or soak first then boil? also what was that about skin removal? and wtf is cal

Simmer not boil.

Soak overnight first… then bring a pot of water to boil and then dump the soaked pozole in. I keep it at a high simmer… otherwise it’s a half a day project. :stuck_out_tongue:

–Dommy!

I bring it to a boil and let it go for a few minutes, then simmer till what I consider done. That’s soft but still somewhat chewy.

It’s okay if it still has a little bit of chew. It will then be simmering in a BIG POT of soup for proabably a long time. Pozole is a party soup, and it stays on a low lit stove ALL NIGHT.

–Dommy!

1 Like

Short Answer: Calcium Hydroxide

Long Answer

1 Like

[quote=“NeverEnough, post:60, topic:4269”]
Let the Mexican Food Games begin.
[/quote]Great. I tweaked your title a bit. Thanks!

[quote=“NeverEnough, post:60, topic:4269”]
I loved the food our Mexican-American traveling companion found
[/quote]Always a good way. When we’re in Mexico - or anywhere - we usually become friendly with one or two hotel employees. We ask where they like to eat. Some of the best non-touristy meals. Rick Bayliss is also a good reference for local markets and off the beaten path spots.

[quote=“ranchogordo, post:65, topic:4269”]
how is it possible we can name all sorts of regional Italian pastas and yet food indigenous to the Americas is exotic.
[/quote]Oh wow. Very true.

1 Like

Can I say it again? I missed you.

1 Like

[quote=“Dommy, post:70, topic:4269”]
stays on a low lit stove ALL NIGHT.
[/quote]very nice

1 Like

I find with dried hominy and with dried beans, you boil the crap out of them, as you say, for a solid 15 minutes at the very beginning and then low and slow as you can. If you’re in a hurry, you can let them gently simmer but if you have a lazy Sunday, it’s best to let them barely bubble. And of course, to complicate things even more, clay pots for both pozole and beans are welcome.

[quote=“ranchogordo, post:76, topic:4269”]
it’s best to let them barely bubble.
[/quote]Im doing this right now. I didn’t have any pintos (my favorite). But I have red beans, andouille sausage and a packet of bayou magic spice mix.

Question: Do you soak your pintos for hours or do a quick boil then rest for 30 minutes? Or do no soaking at all? I have more of a Southern American cooking background and it’s a “must do” in my family, especially red beans. But most of my Mexican cooking friends say they don’t soak pintos at all.

You can also use a super low oven.

Yeah. Most of us don’t. We have Epazote for the gas.

1 Like