DTLA - Dinner w/Young Adults

true, you are, but i dont hold that against you.

now, an answer to my question, maybe?

1 Like

@yogachik - Good choices!

1 Like

@Aesthete - Ohhh my… No paprika, garlic and other mentioned ingredients aren’t too adventurous. I should have mentioned the heat thing along with adventurous ingredients. My bad. What can I say… That’s why I’m asking for help. :stuck_out_tongue: The rest of my family will eat just about anything. This one lived in Louisiana for a year and complained about his stomach the whole time. If I lived there for a year I would have been in Creole, Cajun heaven. But I digress… did you find Badmaash’s food super hot?

I don’t, but my spice tolerance is super high.

Naturally there are some things there that are obscenely spicy, like the ghost pepper lamb vindaloo.

But saag paneer is essentially spinach and cheese with tomato and onion… potato samosas are potatoes and fried dough…

I mean these things are spiced with things like cumin, ginger, garlic, coriander… none of that registers as even remotely spicy to me. All of the other restaurants being recommended use similar spices in their food. For sure Bestia, Bäco Mercat, Bar AMA, Little Sister, BS Taqueria, Redbird, Factory Kitchen, Maccheroni Republic, etc…etc…etc… are all going to be using similar things in dishes there (I’ve eaten at all of them multiple times over).

I have heard that Clifton’s food is extremely bland and flavorless though. I mean, even Kevineats didn’t like it, and he likes nearly everything in the world. I guess I would go to Clifton’s. Any restaurant with any talent in the kitchen at all is going to use something along the lines of onion, tomato, garlic, etc… in their food I’m afraid.

Truly an intense conundrum.

I would honestly just go somewhere good and ask for a skinless grilled or boiled chicken breast with no seasoning. Tell the chef your son is allergic to all spices/herbs/etc… I had a friend that once did this while cutting for weight training and pretty much everywhere obliged him.

Surely skinless chicken breast without any sauce or spices or herbs or seasoning of any kind would be delicate enough?

@Aesthete - No he’s not that bad off and likes cumin, coriander, onion, garlic, etc. He’s just not going to eat foie or uni or “pea cake dessert” :smile: or really hot stuff. His dad is like you. He has a really high tolerance for heat. Me, I’m kind of in the middle.

Badmaash is the only place with spice levels in all three of those categories then I think. You should give it some serious consideration. Unless it’s a requirement for everyone to share everything I guess haha

It seems to be a requirement lately. I read a post recently where the guy wrote “I’m so sick of sharing my food.” It tickled me.

…But these guys eat so much there’s nothing to share. So I’ll look at Badmaash’s menu again. Thanks!

Okay… So here’s how it went. We went with Bar Ama. His Dad & brother said he wouldn’t go for Indian. But they promised to try Badmaash with me another time.

There seemed like enough dishes on BA’s menu to satisfy all. Well… I should have paid closer attention to the Tex part of Tex-Mex… Hot! To add insult injury, he ordered the Short Rib Chalupa… harmless enough. Well, we should have asked what Arbol is. It’s a tiny little pepper with a lot of heat. He ended up with the hottest dish of all :disappointed:

Blue Cow or BS Taqueria might have been a wiser choice.

The upside is we ordered enough other dishes to compensate. We had a great time together and the food was really, really good. Loved the Queso Dip and the Fried Chicken. I’ll be returning.

Thanks for all the help. I’m bookmarking your suggestions.

Happy eating!

3 Likes

@aaqjr - Here’s to you!

1 Like

How was it ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Delicious!

1 Like