DTLA Sushi — Q vs Zo

We went to Q and Zo on back-to-back nights to compare.

Warrior: I was struck by the sharp contrast in styles of these two restaurants. Q is ultra-serious, tight, and restrained. Zo is loose and creative, at least comparatively. I think Q is the superior restaurant. Our meal at Q was so refined, across the board, that I think that one Michelin star is not enough. Q may very well be the best sushi restaurant in LA. Every single bite was so perfectly prepared that I couldn’t challenge anything about it. Q’s lightly seasoned style is hard to appreciate, but it finally clicked with me. Zo, while not on the same level, had its own virtues. The best dishes at Zo (finely cut squid with uni and truffle salt, steamed monkfish liver, and wood-smoked suzuki) are more memorable than the best dishes at Q. The atmosphere at Zo is far more lively. Q is a “sushi temple,” with all the solemnity that “temple” connotes.

Peony: Q and Zo have very distinct styles, from the service to the food. I used to like Sushi Zo more, as it is more casual, relaxed, and flavorful. As I grow older, I feel my tastes have started to evolve toward Q. I start to understand that Q is about using minimum sauce to maximize the presentation of natural seafood flavor. Everything in Q was as if it were straight from the ocean, and you need to be really focused to appreciate the subtle flavors. It is a kind of special style.

Q Sushi photos

Sushi Zo photos

5 Likes