Easy (ish) Home Baking and Ingredient Substitutions

no; i’ve seen many ratatouille recipes include mushrooms along with onions, peppers, tomatoes, eggplant.

(and squash)

i ate a lot of it one summer trying (unsuccessfully) to drop some… avoirdupois.

maybe it was the mushrooms.

2 Likes

:smile: :+1:

2 Likes

For a while both my Latino and Asian markets were out of rice.

1 Like
3 Likes

ok; either way you weren’t going to get rice at bulk prices then.

I don’t remember the prices at my Latino market but the rice and black beans are sold out of 50 gallon plastic garbage cans. I think I recall seeing some other type of bean recently. We haven’t been there since bulk sales were eliminated for safety reasons.

1 Like

We’re running low on AP flour, so I’m trying that recipe with 100% whole wheat and 345 grams of water (69% hydration).

1 Like

Are you just doing it for fun or whatever. Are your stores out of that?

A 25-lb. bag of AP flour is supposedly arriving by Thursday.

So you can’t find it in stores? I don’t buy in that quantity but don’t remember Costco having big blank spaces in that area.

I haven’t gone into a store in weeks, but Costco, Bob’s Red Mill, and all the other online and delivery sources have been out of stock. I finally found a restaurant wholesale supplier that claimed to have it in stock.

Why not? That’s our only outing. And now almost everyone is in masks.

I have no reason to take easily avoidable risks.

3 Likes

I won’t do that again. It was the kind of heavy, dense loaf that gives whole-wheat bread a bad reputation. I think I’ll try this one.

I’ve had much better luck on high % whole wheat loaves with the heirloom varieties like Red fife or sonora

I’m using Senatore Capelli, but all whole-wheat varieties have the same fundamental issue: the bran interferes with the development of the gluten network. So if you want to use 100% whole-wheat, it’s best to use a recipe designed to work around that.

https://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/icooks/4-21-03.html

If I remember correctly, the Modernist Breadcrumbs podcast (companion the Modernist Bread book) had a pretty eye opening anecdote where they baked a loaf of white flour, a loaf of wheat flour and a loaf of white flour with glass mixed in and the glass loaf still rose better than the whole wheat loaf. It’s pretty astonishing how much bran can screw with the structure.

True but modern wheat varieties were specifically breed to have thicker tougher bran to make them easier to mechanically separate. Which in turn cuts the gluten network much more than older varieties

Wow! And you live in one of the safest areas, don’t you?

The SF Bay Area has flattened the curve through so many of us staying home.

2 Likes