Eat Joy Food (Rowland Heights)

My mom sent me this World Journal write-up, and I was like I told you about this place months ago :man_facepalming:t2: Pretty interesting story though (Google translate if needed)

7 Likes

Thanks! Super intriguing.

2 Likes

can we get the Cliffs Notes English version of the article?

2 Likes

Off the top of my head:

The owner, Arthur Chen, of Eat Joy Food had success runnning a grocery store in Texas before he lost his fortune gambling in Las Vegas. In a desperate attempt to win back some of his money, he created fake money orders and was caught, convicted, and sentenced to 20 months in jail. Chen decided to flee…

Chen was finally arrested 12 years later by the FBI and served 4 years. Upon his release, he was 61 years old but his friends pooled in and helped him open up Eat Joy Food.

11 Likes

oh wow… always wondered what the back story is. good for him and hope he succeeds with EJF.

2 Likes

You’re the best!

1 Like

Even AI can’t make that stuff up.

3 Likes

I can read about 15 characters lol I am such a bad abc

2 Likes

Also that’s a wild origin story. The owner although older and soft spoken is actually pretty charming and funny.

Planning to go to dinner here tonight. Have marked ejf for a visit as I read this thread throughout the year. Just a little concerned about the service being curt. If there is a person who brings out service gruffiness, it’s my mom. Plus she’s leaning towards Cantonese.

What are options nearby if ejf doesn’t work out? I’m assuming there is also a long wait time for a table now that word is out?

Didn’t have that problem a few months back when I went on a week night dinner. There’s always Sun Nong Dan a mile away for something dependable. You can also hit up Chicha for boba in the same plaza.

2 Likes

Sun Nong Dan is fine, but the parking lot is terrible. If EJF doesn’t work out, you can try Mountain House in the same Plaza with EJF. Szechun food.
Home (szechuanmountainhouse.com)

1 Like

The service at EJF is actually fine. Have never had an issue. The waiters can be a little sales-y in pushing dishes but honestly have always had more than acceptable service there.

1 Like

Foiled by work and traffic so we stuck around WSGV. Will try early next week. Went to Henry’s instead. Reliable for a good Canto dinner.

Managed to have last meal here before flying out. Wow, the steamed black cod and bitter melon with salted eggs were exquisite. How do they coat every slice of melon with the egg yolk? And since it was lunch for 2, the bill was surprisingly small. We also ordered the pig intestine appetizer which was prepared well but it wasn’t particularly interesting. I would have ordered something else but the other diner loves the inside stuff.

Btw, the service was very, very good. There were a couple of moments when I thought the person taking our order (owner or manager?) was going to be curt with my mom’s usual ordering style but he kept his cool and his suggestions were great.

Right, so how do I make the bitter melon dish at home :grin:

1 Like

LOL! Exactly. That bitter melon and salted egg dish is what made me love his original restaurant in Arcadia. I could never wait to get it again. You’re exactly right, that he somehow coats every piece with that egg, yet it’s not overpowering. I wish I knew how to make it. And yeah, the owner looks like he’ll be gruff but is actually a very nice guy! The pricing has gotten a bit out of control for us, so we’ve stopped going as much unfortunately.

Once salted egg is cooked, you can take out the yolk, smash em, and cook em down with a little oil. It’ll turn into a thick paste that will coat anything you toss in after.

5 Likes

Yeah, bitter melon and salted egg… It wouldn’t cost $24 to make at home :joy:

Though, likely would not be a tenth as delicious :yum:

1 Like