Eataly - Wagyu boneless ribeye

It’s an Italian business and thus more subject to Barnum’s Law.

1 Like

If I’m understanding the way people are describing reverse sear, that’s what we do for flank steak we get from Costco (an ATK recipe). Works great and is so easy that even I was able to do it (and only slightly overcooked the steak). I’m not a good cook, so if I can do it…

2 Likes

Give it a go. I’ve cooked many a Snake River Farms product. It’s good stuff and tends to be a bit more marbled than much prime beef out there. It’s plenty rich for my tastes. Maybe still too rich for me sometimes.

It won’t be dry aged (my preference) and you also aren’t getting the deal you might be hoping for (Eataly’s initial mark-up seems high). But at $30/# it’s a good product and you aren’t getting ripped off by any means.

Absolutely you should do it!
Ever since I got a thermometer I have never overcooked a steak. Take it off at 125 degrees and let it rest for 5-10 minutes.

2 Likes

+1 on sous vide and pan sear. I did this with a Prime, 21-day dry aged tomahawk that was given to me as a gift. One of the best steaks I’ve ever had. That being said, it wasn’t Wagyu. Only thing I would do differently is that I like to go a little higher on sous vide temp (more towards medium rare) for rib steak.

Oh noes, the old wagyu debate rears it’s head. I’m staying out of this one.

I don’t think it’s a debate so much as that grilled wagyu doesnt’t have as broad appeal as old-school prime beef.

And I would call that an unnecessary generalization when there’s so much involved in the process, cuts, grading, aging, etc. that will determine quality of beef and that goes for both wagyu and prime.

K, I lied about staying out.

I’ve had first-rate wagyu and real Kobe and to my taste it’s just not something I want to grill.

By old-school I mean dry-aged.

You seem to think that all wagyu looks like this

I guess you’re proving my point. Not all prime is created equal and certainly not all wagyu is created equal.

When I talk about food I generally pretend all the mediocre or worse stuff Americans eat doesn’t exist.

I had wagyu flat iron steak a couple weeks ago and it was Incredible. It tasted like an ideal of what cheap cuts of beef could be.

Kobe isn’t ideal for grilling, but rather is probably better for shabu shabu. Matsuzaka beef is probably a better candidate.

Not all wagyu is equal; not all Japanese wagyu is equal; not all varieties are best prepared by the same method. Even at the same grade of a5. There are more measures than just a_

I’ve had some Omi ribeye (above), about 6 oz that was delicious. Not as fatty tasting as Matsuzaka-gyu, but more decadent than some Hokkaido beef I also had that night for comparison. But the private reserve Hokkaido “Snow Beef,” could only have so much. Great texture, though, when cooked over binchotan with some sear. Aubergine in Carmel does a pretty good job with some soy and sake washed Miyazaki gyu.

I just think the blanket statement that wagyu ribeye steak is gross is a bit unwarranted. Certain applications of wagyu can be great for steak, albeit not a huge piece - I wouldn’t do more than 8 oz - and I think Kobe is not best prepared as a steak. Some places that serve wagyu steak are a bit over the top (Yamakase’s Miyazaki gyu flambéd with Macallan 18 was over cooked) but sometimes, prepared simply over a binchotan grill, wagyu steak can be fantastic.

4 Likes

visually amazing but my god O_O

My preference for the super marbly stuff is shabu-shabu or in cut up 3/4" cubes prepped at the teppanyaki joints. It’s quite good grilled just in small quantities and with a bit of acid in the dipping sauce.

Discussion about the suitability of Wagyu as a cut for ‘regular steak eating’ aside… the thing I’d want to be very adamant about is the SEAR part of reverse sear. The point of the method is that the meat is very nearly cooked at the end of the ‘reverse’ portion of the method. The ‘sear’ should be VERY quick… maybe only a minute a side, as it’s done mostly to achieve crust and color.

I say this because I’ve tried to teach the method to friends several times and, too often, they tell me they seared for several minutes a side. If you’re going to do that you may as well have grilled the usual way.

1 Like

This is how it looks when cooked. Yeah it’s not a steak (just some cubes) but I get a double order, and that’s plenty:

“Kansas barbecue sauce” cuts the richness

You want to sear without cooking the inside, use a torch.