Eating meat: threat or menace?

If you’re accusing me of pulling an Elizabeth Warren, then I find that deeply offensive.

I’m accusing you of saying you’re a vegan when you’re not.

4 Likes

Contextitarinism allows you say you’re vegan when you feel like it.

So does being mayor of New York, fun fact.

Mr. Roussel, then the Communist Party presidential candidate, was fiercely criticized in January for saying all French people should have the right to traditional fare. “A good wine, good meat, good cheese, that is French gastronomy,” he said. … Mr. Roussel’s popularity briefly surged, and thunderous applause at rallies greeted his cry of: “What are we going to eat? Tofu and soy beans? Come on!”

The crostata is vegetarian, not vegan. Pasta frolla (shortcrust) is always made with butter and often with egg.

1 Like

I didn’t ask for a recipe. The food was essentially vegan.

The menu indicates which dishes are vegan.

Butter and eggs are usually made from plants.

1 Like

Something is either vegan or not - a crostata isn’t vegan

3 Likes

You’re arguing against a straw man. I never said the crostata was vegan.

Do you read or remember (or understand) your own stuff ? Apparently being “vegan” is too much sacrifice for you

At this point I have no idea what you’re arguing about.

Being vegan would have meant sacrificing the pleasure of that crostata.

1 Like

This absolutism seems anachronistic. I’m not sure what place it is of yours to tell me what it means to be vegan. Anyway, I’m not going to engage in argument about it.

"I don’t know what you mean by ‘glory,’ " Alice said.

Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. “Of course you don’t—till I tell you. I meant ‘there’s a nice knock-down argument for you!’”

“But ‘glory’ doesn’t mean ‘a nice knock-down argument’,” Alice objected.

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”

“The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.”

“The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

2 Likes
2 Likes

It doesn’t much matter whether you’re a level 5 vegan or whatever, truly your prerogative, and in most cases people would cut you some slack on this post. But your presence on here is often (though not solely) trolling and absolutist: covid, langers, mariscos jalisco, adb off memory. And you’ve created a ranking system though you don’t consume, because of dietary restrictions, large swaths of the output of restaurants you’re evaluating. You have some antagonists on here, true, but you also needlessly antagonize, so some are highlighting an apparent contradiction.

10 Likes

To be fair, we ate the pastrami sandwich, and we were not impressed. Langer’s is just not very good IMO. Maybe it has the “world’s best pastrami,” but that’s like telling me it has the “world’s best hot dog” or the “world’s best deep fried snickers bar.”

Mariscos Jalisco is solid. I awarded it 2-3 Warrior Points. I would put it on the high end of that range, probably around 2.8. I’ve been pretty positive about Mariscos Jalisco.

Thank you for your reasoned perspective. We appreciate it.

So what is your top ranking pastrami ?

1 Like

More for @PeonyWarrior than for @ShadrackToussaint

I can’t speak for most people, but I do actually think it is very important (for a variety of reasons that may not be necessary to discuss here) that when someone uses the word “vegan,” that they only use that term when the product does not have anything that was animal-derived (and I say this as someone who is neither a vegetarian nor a vegan).

We have all sorts of pedantic conversations here about relatively obscure (to the general population) terms. “Vegan” (AFAIK) isn’t really a word that has any wiggle room.

But, as always, I deeply respect and appreciate your diplomacy, @ShadrackToussaint. :slight_smile:

8 Likes