Eggnog recipes

A friend who had trouble finding Bud’s eggnog (made by Berkeley Farms) this year said she didn’t have a recipe for the “thick kind” that she likes. My first thought was heavy cream, but after looking at the ingredients for Bud’s, I think this modernist / molecularly gastronomic recipe is closer to what she wants.

Thought I’d post my favorite from Chef Gray Kunz’s book Elements of Taste:

Total time: 20 minutes
Servings: 12

3/4 cup heavy cream
6 eggs, separated
1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
1 cup Cognac
1/2 teaspoon finely ground star anise
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice, plus more for garnish
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup milk

1. Beat the cream in a stand mixer (or in a medium chilled bowl, using a hand mixer), until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. Refrigerate the whipped cream until needed.
  2. In a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl set over simmering water, combine the egg yolks, one-half cup of sugar and Cognac. Whisking constantly, cook the egg mixture until it thickens slightly, is warm to the touch and looks satiny and white, 3 to 5 minutes. Cool the mixture by placing it over an ice bath and whisking, then refrigerate.
  3. In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a large bowl, using a hand mixer), whip the egg whites to stiff peaks along with the star anise, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and the remaining 2 teaspoons sugar. Set aside.
  4. Fold the egg white mixture gently into the chilled egg yolks, then, again very gently, fold in the chilled whipped cream and milk, each a little at a time, until incorporated. Refrigerate until ready to serve. To serve, pour into chilled glasses or eggnog cups (or demitasses), with a pinch of allspice. The eggnog will keep for 1 day, covered and refrigerated.
2 Likes

aaqjr’s recipe is a solid one for “the thick kind.” Really no need for additional thickeners when cooking the egg creates a custard-like base.

I find egg nog a bit too thick and cloying.I like Milk Punch: Holiday Milk Punch – Garden & Gun. It can be served hot or cold, I prefer cold and it is not a meal in a glass as egg nog is. Heresy to some but give it a try.

1 Like

Milk Punch is rad! Thanks for the reminder! Haven’t made that in years.

Gotta be honest, the thick nog is not really my thing. I do like a fresh egg nog that’s made without whipping or heating the dairy. I find that the viscosity isn’t overwhelming that way.

Both Jeffrey Morganthaler recipes are great.