Electric knife sharpeners

Not quite sure if this is the right category, but…

Does anyone have an electric knife sharpener that they like and would recommend? I’ll skim through the Wirecutter article (The Best Knife Sharpener for 2023 | Reviews by Wirecutter) but thought I’d ask here.

Partner is looking to get one. We’ve tried sharpening our knives w/ a stone, and it’s kind of a pain in the butt.

We take our knives once a year to Ross Cutlery in DTLA and make it a reason to visit grand central market.

We have two chef choice electric sharpeners for inbetween. One the Edge Select for our German Knives and the other the 1520 for our Japanese knives. So it really depends on what you have in your collection or the knives you use the most.

4 Likes

Not electric but these are easier to use than traditional stones. I still have a 15 year old Apex some where! Mostly use water stones these days

4 Likes

I bought the Chef’s Choice 15XV that Wirecutter recommended. I was just thinking the other day that my main 10" chef’s knife I use all the time was a bit dull, I’ll have to unpack it and give it a try.

1 Like

Do give an update when you do. :slight_smile:

Hi @Dommy - Is this because the German blades are constructed differently than the Japanese? Thanks.

While German blades are largely stainless steel and some of the fanciest Japanese blades are sometimes carbon steel. That is not the reason for the two. The reason for the two are the angle of the blade of Japanese knives vs. German.

https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-german-and-japanese-knives-234598

I should note, we had the Edge Select first and then YEARS later learned the difference and got the 1520. I believe that the 1520 does have a German angle option. But since we have both, we use both.

3 Likes

Thanks @dommy! Good info. I’m not an expert but figured it was something like that. I bought a Japanese chef’s knife about a year ago and love it but did have to adjust because I tend to rock when chopping and that’s not conducive to the straighter Japanese blade.

2 Likes

Some Japanese blades have only a single bevel.

1 Like