Elevated, Casual Filipino Food at Sari Sari Store (Grand Central Market) - [Thoughts + Pics]

duplicate

14 Likes

For other Filipino food of this style I would highly recommend Oi Asian Fusion and the Achara truck.

the sourcing of the ingredients won’t be as stellar though…

1 Like

You’re so funny. Whenever I hear “pig head,” I think “head cheese”. Eek!

Great review. I think I’ll take the children there after we wait in line for hours to see Infinite Mirrors and then don’t get in. :balloon:

1 Like

I love this pie, but more than once the crust has been tough. Like beef jerky leather tough. Not a good thing.

All the rice dishes are superb, although recently I have a hard time picking Sari Sari or RiceBar … Good to have options though.

3 Likes

You had me at Spam, sisig fried rice, and coconut dessert!

4 Likes

Thanks @Ns1. I hadn’t heard of these places before. I’ll definitely have to give them a try one of these days.

Thanks @ipsedixit. Bummer about the crust, we might’ve been lucky, the crust we had tasted light and flaky, as if it was baked that day. I have to try out RiceBar as well. What do you like there?

I think you’d love the Sisig Fried Rice, Housemade Spam Silog and the Coconut Dessert Buko Pie. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Menu changes pretty frequently, and constantly. When they first started they were experimenting with a tocino offering that was just not all there. I think the highlight thus far for me has been the longganisa (in any of its variations), the pork bicol express, and the rice. The rice, any of the 3 varieties, are just well done. Porridge is good too.

2 Likes

I’ve had their stuff, pretty darn good eats even if the sourcing isn’t as good. Sari-Sari is very good though…

1 Like

Thanks for the shout out, but did you get me mixed up w/ another poster? I know nothing about halo halo (actually, about Filipino food, in general) and generally love (Japanese) red bean. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

Ack! I thought when we were talking about desserts one time, and you mentioned liking black sesame, that you didn’t like Chinese red bean desserts? :sweat_smile: sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

The eggplant bowl is really delicious as well. The only thing I haven’t liked is the Skewers… tiny for the price and they get cold the second the hit the counter.

–Dommy!

1 Like

Great report @Chowseeker1999, I’ve only had the buko pie and it was delicious. My friend also reports the lechon kawali is good too.

from their instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcyG9ncF6Sv/

2 Likes

Oh gawd, yes, don’t get the skewers. I was legit pissed off at what they served me and what they were charging for it.

I also had the Arroz Caldo and coconut pie last weekend. Perfect lunch meal for a cold day.

What’s nice about Ricebar is they usually have a beef or lamb dish, so the menu is a bit more varied.

1 Like

I found myself here for lunch today before heading over to the Pantages for a matinee. I got the lechon kawali…it looked fantastic, but I feel it missed the mark on a couple of elements. The bed of garlic fried rice wasn’t garlicky enough…it tasted like toasted fried rice…I couldn’t find the garlic…and even when I added the extra sauce…it still didn’t taste like sauce either. The egg looked lovely…they get “sunshine” eggs from a farmer who feeds the chickens a certain type of food to ensure the yolks are a bright orange color. However, my egg was over cooked and didn’t ooze out all over the rice. The lechon itself was really good…super crispy and super unctuous at the same time, and I loved the pickled veg to give it a fresh punch.
They were quite busy at lunch today, so am not sure if that affected what I got. But the menu is interesting enough for me to try it, again.

3 Likes

Hi @attran99,

Bummer about your egg & rice today. You should definitely mention it to them if the egg was overcooked (the staff seemed really accommodating / friendly the 2 times we went). And as you can see in the pics, all of the eggs in the dishes we got were cooked perfectly (soft).

Our garlic rice also was pretty garlicky, hopefully it was only an off day for you. Thanks.

Question for anyone: The food looks good, and I love any kind of Asian food, but it seems like every picture of the food includes a fried egg. Does everything come with egg, or is the egg an add-on?

Sincerely, someone who doesn’t care for eggs…

1 Like

You can always decline the egg. Mine was over cooked yesterday so I couldn’t really tell if it would have made a difference.

1 Like