End Of The Era of Authentic Chinese Food on Melrose

An excellent example is the new Pleasure Ocean dim sum and Hong Kong seafood restaurant in Hacienda Heights, which took over from the Chinese buffet by the Hacienda Heights 99 Ranch Market. They took the forward part of that space and opened up a hanging bbq and dim sum to go area with a separate entrance from the main restaurant.

Lucky you!

Most of the time when I go they’re only sporting a very verdant B.

What I would do for a flaming red C.

1 Like

They actually have an “B”, but one of the homies secretly replaced it with a “C” sign so the joint wouldn’t get overrun with Westsiders.

It’s the one time where grade “C” is prized over grade “A” in Asian culture.

3 Likes

Elite and JZhou do far superior versions of Cantonese BBQ than Sam Woo. Those are the top two IMO for roast suckling pig and roast squab in LA.

I was referring more to take out from a carving “station/counter” which Elite does not have. Does Jzhou do that stuff?
Also, I should say, the new Rosemead branch of Sam Woo may be better quality than older incarnations - it felt that way to me. That roast pork was so much juicier and meatier than I have had at other swbbq’s. Can’t get it off my mind.

Just my view, but isn’t roast suckling pig a pretty uncommon item at most places? Yes, it’s roast pork, I guess, but it seems like a different more prescious item. In Chinese Asia, it seems to be a celebratory centerpiece dish.

You said can’t imagine better than that so I was helping you out with “better” :wink:

But yes, for take out, Sam Woo is great.

1 Like

I don’t really think it’s an apt comparison to say a sit-down restaurant place like Elite or J Zhou is (or not) better than a BBQ counter like Sam Woo.

For one the turnover is significantly higher at the latter (which is good), and the price at a place like Elite is probably 2x that of Sam Woo.

It’s sort of like asking if In N Out has good burgers and saying “well, Father’s Office makes better burgers.”

Both good but different. Comparing one to the other does both a disservice. Same here with Cantonese BBQ.

1 Like

Of course not, but the distinction was not made upstream.

Like if someone said “I cannot imagine a burger better than In N Out”…

It was.

Ah, I just saw this query : End Of The Era of Authentic Chinese Food on Melrose - #4 by Chowseeker1999

Never mind me then.

Sam Woo it is!

The J Zhou peeps actually do make to go BBQ in the form of The Noodle. But they do have an inconsistent product, maybe due to turnover. Leung Kee (aka Sam Woo) has a much more consistent product. Also, a place in the area that is often overlooked is Jade House in Diamond Bar. Pretty sure all these places have the more inconspicuous green “B” rating though. Although last time I was at Jade House, I would have personally given them a “C” lol.

Still, your info goes in my pocket. Thank you.