Epicurus Gourmet (North Hollywood) - The New Epicure Imports

OMG

14 Likes

Your wealth of gourmet canned seafood knowledge is fascinating. I bought the Hot Pepper Sauce Tuna, have Katy’s Smokehouse on the list… now this! :blush:

@Dommy

I was watching Jacques Pepin the other night and he made this delicious looking tuna appetizer using a high quality canned tuna. Simple with only a few ingredients blended together in a food processor. Mainly the canned tuna and mascarpone cheese. I couldn’t find his exact recipe online to remember what the other two ingredients were. But I found this recipe that looks really close and hand blending instead of a processor.

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/mascarpone-tuna-rillettes

I think he used dill and some lemon for the other two ingredients.

5 Likes

Oh my! I have some marscapone in my fridge too! Wheeee!!

2 Likes

That’s funny. I was going to go on the Tuna thread (yes we have one :smile:) and ask what people do with their fancy tuna? Thanks!

3 Likes
1 Like

Ooo!! Must find the tuna thread!! As you can see by our Cae-çois we are always looking for great ideas!

1 Like

:point_up_2:t4: Look up.

Since I’m done shopping for the next 2-3 weeks, I might go with a low budget version of what I have on hand. Costco tuna, cream cheese and lime :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: #dontjudge

4 Likes

Good idea. My fridge is stuffed too. But I think I have a bit of Purple Haze Goat Cheese.

2 Likes

Image result for ortiz tuna can

Still my fave. I see it sometimes in glass jars also.

1 Like

That Purple Haze is good stuff.

1 Like

Not about tinned fish, but I was in there today and Hillary told me they are adding a big freezer next week. They will be expanding their line of seafood and meats. Plans include high-end lamb, fish, and A5 Wagyu.
I will add to this post when it gets online.

5 Likes

Ohmigod, I am so NOT judging. I took a look at last month’s food bill, and I was like, “How did I spend MORE $$$ then usual when we are cooking more at home???”

4 Likes

Because we all need comfort in some way or other. My frozen treats total keeps growing by the week.

9 Likes

any good vinegar for sushi rice here?

2 Likes

They carry Sparrow Lane rice vinegar which is an excellent brand, but their huge vinegar selection is geared towards European styles.
They do carry some wonderful tamaris and soy sauces however. Fish sauce as well although that would not help with sushi.
You can also ask them to order things and they will usually do it.

2 Likes

I would go to Marukai for that

1 Like

Does anyone know if they have Akazu? Last I checked some years ago no store was selling it to the public & you needed a restaurant license to purchase from Mutual Trading. I would love to stock up on some if anyone has a source

Maybe this isn’t true for all items but when I went to Mutual Trading (in person a few years ago) I was able to buy without a license.