Epicurus Gourmet (North Hollywood) - The New Epicure Imports

There’s a cluster of Russian markets in Valley Village: Odessa Grocery, Tashkent, Babushka Grandma’s Deli. The little ones have entirely different items than Pacific Coast Co. Unfortunately, last time I went by, Tashkent was closed, while Odessa was letting only a few people in at a time. Those two are tiny!

3 Likes

For a while Ralphs was carrying Vermont Creamery butter. I snatched up a few pounds every time I went. Then they discontinued it. When I asked the apologetic fellow (I think it was a Murray’s guy) said there just wasn’t enough demand for them. Sigh.

I see it sometimes at Bristol Farms but lately seems to be sold out a lot. Usually it’s just the smaller 8 oz size. Couldn’t believe the flavor when i used it to make biscuits.

1 Like

We got like like 8 boxes once at Grocery Outlet once for some crazy price like $2 a box… Went straight in the freezer and it made amazing pie crusts (Which also freeze well).

3 Likes

Has anyone had any success purchasing this butter? I’ve been trying for several years but it’s always sold out in seconds when it drops. Never been to FL or Per Se so curious …

1 Like

Yes, my wife was able to get her hands on an order when Saxelby had some a little while back. No secret to the success, unfortunately–she just knew when it was going to be in stock, logged on then, and got lucky. It’s very good butter, and keeps pretty well in the freezer. I think your best bet is staying in touch with Saxelby and staying on top of when they will get their next shipment.

1 Like

It’s fabulous. I bought it right from the farm in probably 2002 after I had the best butter of my life at the original Alinea in Evanston.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @sk8uno & @helen_s! Looks like I may have to resort to bribery to get on the list :grin:

1 Like

I suspect we’re gonna get along just fine… And this place will totally bankrupt me.

Just a small portion of what we purchased today. Super nice people there.

10 Likes

I hope you got the white truffle chips, too! I think it’s better than the jamon…better than the foie, too.

1 Like

Are those Iberico ham flavored chips?

Wow, those are the kinds of things I’d get. Ham flavored chips and tinned octopus! Yum. What do you use the syrup in?

What time were you there? I was in shortly after noon, but I don’t think I saw you. A shame.
The one pot risottos and pastas are great, but are really helped by the suggested additions on the rear label.
Yes the people are great!

Didn’t see those! Did see pesto, which was tempting…

Yees! We’d never had the chips (or brand) before, and iberico-ham seemed too crazy not too try.

The chips actually do vaguely taste of iberico ham (salty, kind of buttery, and a bit “meaty,” for lack of a better word). It’s kind of bizarre. If you read the ingredient list, the 2nd item is “iberico ham aroma (2.66%).” I have no idea what that means.

It’s not bad, but I don’t know if such a rich flavor work w/ oily chips.

We had elderberry soda in Europe, so we thought we’d add some to fizzy water made w/ Soda Stream. :slight_smile:

Around 2PM. Drat! Wish our paths had crossed. It’ll happen one day. :slight_smile: Thanks for the tip.

3 Likes

I didn’t love the Iberico ham potato chips, as opposed to the Iberico ham slices in the charcuterie case.
A few other tips; the flipping pear nectar!!!, Tuscan salami, the San Marzano tomatoes, epoisse when they have it (none today - although I could buy everything in their cheese selection and be a happy camper), whiskey barrel aged fish sauce, and whiskey barrel aged shoyu.
Its such a great place. I hope you can come back when this thing finally calms down so you can experience the samples table. I particularly recommend Saturdays when the samples take on a greater dimension.
Hope to run into you someday!
Edited to add so nice to discuss something besides the tragedy befalling our city.

1 Like

Ohmigod, those refrigerator cases are DANGEROUS. I seriously could’ve spent an hr simply asking about their cheeses!!!

I just got a chevre and some feta for snacking and to put on a salad. :slight_smile: And the blood-orange juice. And some Isigny butter… And some smoked salmon… And 2 of the frozen baguettes to go w/ the butter… And… Each shelf there is amazing. ::sigh::

Indeed.

3 Likes

Just received their latest email. Fresh summer truffles for $18/oz. Summer truffles are not that exciting, but that’s a great price.

I KNOW. But it’s still cheaper than other places selling the same stuff, which makes it all even more irresistible…

We had the Brujula Tuna we got there and it was one of the best tinned tuna we’ve had. We still like Katy’s better but it was slightly different… more flakey than meaty. Definately worthy of the cae-çoise we made with it and graber olives…

https://snukfoods.com/products/la-brujala-yellowftuna-belly

Also a huge thumbs up to the Tostone Chips Sweet Chili flavor… The Trader Joes one are very good, but these were were more delicate but also more filling.

https://www.latinfoodsmarket.com/All_Colombian_Products-Patac_n_Chifle_Tost_n_Chips_100g_Chifle_T_n_6.html

7 Likes

She went back for round 2 already. The place is amazing

4 Likes

Wow perfectly cooked eggs! My kudos.
Where are your anchovies? Just kidding. Looks great!!