Epicurus Gourmet (North Hollywood) - The New Epicure Imports

They carry Sparrow Lane rice vinegar which is an excellent brand, but their huge vinegar selection is geared towards European styles.
They do carry some wonderful tamaris and soy sauces however. Fish sauce as well although that would not help with sushi.
You can also ask them to order things and they will usually do it.

2 Likes

I would go to Marukai for that

1 Like

Does anyone know if they have Akazu? Last I checked some years ago no store was selling it to the public & you needed a restaurant license to purchase from Mutual Trading. I would love to stock up on some if anyone has a source

Maybe this isn’t true for all items but when I went to Mutual Trading (in person a few years ago) I was able to buy without a license.

They don’t usually allow that, if you speak Japanese sometimes they are more flexible though. If you are in the market for a knife tell them you go to LA trade tevh culinary and usually they’ll sell to you ( on there show room side.)

Picked up this bad boy yesterday.

Unfortunately these were very muted. Only slightly fragrant and hardly any flavor. I would probably wait another few weeks if you were planning on picking some up.

6 Likes

Summer truffle or Australian winter truffle? Never been all that fond of summer truffles.

Summers.

Last year’s crop was phenomenal.

1 Like

Do be sure to get some Vaccha Rossa parm. It’s been tough to find for me

5 Likes

Epicurus has added another freezer and stocked it with some great stuff. They are expanding their frozen meats and seafood selections. I picked up some wagyu steaks and burgers, and a poussin. They also carry lamb, exotic ground meats, bacon and they have expanded their sausage selection.

8 Likes

I nom’d on their boudin noir this week. So good.

1 Like

Glad to see you posting! Was wondering where you had gone.

1 Like

I was embarrassed as @Ns1 thought I had insulted him. Crap I never want to insult anyone on this board. Thanks for asking.

LOL you take me far too seriously

3 Likes

Well if it weren’t for you I would never have discovered Chiang Mai Thai Kitchen and Lotus and Light. Its a weird thing I have had since I was a kid, but I hate causing pain to anyone or anything. TMI. At any rate thank you!

4 Likes

I have never made that mistake.

3 Likes

The frozen Baguettes by Boulart are legit y’all. Round 3 and they crisp up so well

5 Likes

Is that the same brand as the demi baguette? If so, I totally agree. It’s so good that I’m like, “Why do I ever bother trying to make my own bread?” Just had some tonight w/ partner’s homemade bolognese. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

AGREE. I used to be all about all the Surfas baked baguettes… but Iiked these so much better. They have a better crumb and I like the smaller size. Mostly because I have been known to inhale a whole Surfas Baguette…

1 Like

Finally Made It :hearts:

It’s smaller than imagined, but I like the neat, compact array of goodness - shelves are purposefully stocked and not overflowing with unnecessary items.

I didn’t go too crazy…

I bought these as kind of a novelty purchase but they’re strangely addictive and definitely taste like a potato chip had a baby with pâté. :slightly_smiling_face:

I asked for help w/a mild, semi-soft cheese to compliment not overpower the Iberico Ham. The lady selected Secret de Scey (for cheeseheads it’s Morbier, but with pasteurized, not raw milk). It funked up the car before I got home, and I thought What did she sell me? There’s nothing mild about this. But! Inside the funky rind it’s totally buttery, creamy paste w/one thread of ash & a slight funk. I :hearts: it.

I see why you guys :hearts: this gem. Thanks for the nudge. It will be great when they get their wine license and it’s one-stop gourmet shopping.

13 Likes