ESGV Updates (Rowland Hts., Hacienda Hts., etc.)

It’s been years, but I remember eating at a Formosa Chang (bearded guy) chain store in the airport and thought it was better than most Lu Rou Fan I’ve had in the states.

No, I have not. Due to budgetary constraints, I’ve travelled around Greater Los Angeles to eat as internationally as possible.

6 Likes

Tai Ping Sa Choi Kee reopens in Hacienda Heights, replacing Kitchen 798.

1 Like

Visiting family in the area and went to Eat Joy. Some dishes I have no clue what they are. The owner was chatting it up with my aunties on some Taiwanese things and I was chowing down like Goku. The popcorn oysters was pretty damn good and the other 2 dishes went well with a spoon and a bowl of rice. I think it’s conch with sacha sauce and chile peppers, the other has blood cake and offal. I posted the whole menu somewhere just too lazy to look it up. The popcorn oyster is a speciality from the owners hometown in Taiwan.

6 Likes

Went to Meet Fresh.

What happened to that hot grass jelly? Pass.

My auntie says believe or not Tea Station has good hot grass jelly. That’s in TC though.

1 Like

That intestine / blood cake dish is amazing. One of the best renditions I’ve had. The pricing there is ridiculous but the execution is excellent. The owner is a good dude! I always love how he tries to sell his fried rice, which admittedly, is excellent.

1 Like

Lol! We just went yesterday to Meet Fresh and got the hot grass jelly as well… Not at all what we expected. Tasted good but still. Felt like eating wet snot.

intestine and duck blood with pickled mustard green

sauteed conch

the spot to go to growing up for grass jelly, not just the Monterey park one - also back in the day in rowland heights. Another good spot is Little Green Bean off colima across from HK supermarket. That’s the real OG spot

just went to the meet fresh in hacienda heights and it was a 30 min wait for food so I bounced. I do love the coco sago. Their grass jelly always felt cheap.

2 Likes

In front of Meet Fresh on Azusa on the sidewalk in front of the Arco on Azusa/colima is a taco stand with a fat al pastor spit. My mom said she goes every week so we stopped by for my wife and daughter.

Wife gave it a big thumbs up. My daughter ordered an al pastor quesadilla and it came with a pound of al pastor. She ate it while driving back to Pasadena. She finished about a quarter and sounded defeated. I ate some grilled onions and a very very very spicy jalapeno

I can’t find any info on yelp about it.

6 Likes

For mobile food trucks and stands use google maps. Yelp is not helpful for that stuff.

Thanks! I see it everyday I drive home from the office.

Love Little Bean. Their taiwanese shaved ice is excellent as well! And their frozen stuff, like fishballs, etc are pretty high quality.

Ayee Rice Noodle Roll

Straight from Chaoshan and not via Thailand/Vietnam/Cambodia.

1 Like

Tai Ping Sa Choi Kee is back somewhere on Halliburton for those who love canto beef brisket and beef offal.

1 Like

That intestine, duck blood, pickled mustard greens dish at Eat Joy is one of the best things I eaten. Still thinking about that dish a few weeks later. Xia fan so perfect (goes down with rice) especially with this cold ass weather

Eat Joy has a $23 bowl of Taiwanese spicy beef noodle soup

anyone tried? This has to be good

1 Like

why would he come back when all y’all dogpiled him on here?

yes. i never eat rice. except for that intestine/duck blood dish!

1 Like

i’ve had it. was ok, nothing special and not worth $23 imo. Their big intestine rice noodle soup is excellent rendition though!

1 Like