Eszett (Silver Lake)

Yeah I mean, just on a basic level, 1. the community is not a monolith 2. I don’t think ‘assimilation’ as such is a goal in the slightest and 3. creating safe, welcoming, and proudly queer spaces remains both important and fun.

4 Likes

This. The ability to create spaces like this for a community IS normalization, not “assimilation.” And, there will be nothing more inherently welcoming to all walks of life and expression than a place that is a proudly “lesbian bar” it doesn’t mean it’s exclusionary.

6 Likes

Also what a weird take. Not everything has to be for you and that doesn’t make it “odd”

1 Like

“Lesbian bar” does sound a bit retro, but no more so than Dear John.

Another one down. Seeing these daily it seems.

2 Likes

Please note that I have lived in the eastside since 1986, where the LGBTQX population is probably the majority and proud to be living among the community. My comment is about the branding and yes it’s odd tp me. While it may not be exclusionary to you or me, it could come across that way to others. Safety doesn’t seem an issue. The LGBTQX population is probably more safe in this neck of the woods than any other area. It seems to me, reputation is all that’s needed without overt branding. For example, I love Akbar and have visited the bar since it opened, They don’t brand as a LGBTQX bar, but it clearly leans that way.

Also Gemini Bakehouse. Silver Lake rents and restaurant volume exceeding customer base?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoIIRDQJLme/?igshid=YWJhMjlhZTc=

Just Zarate doing Zarate things. How does this guy still have investors.

5 Likes

What I’d give for a return of the original Mo Chica in the Mercado. That spot was too beautiful to live.

Not sure he can be blamed for the five or six other recently announced closures within two miles of Causita though.

4 Likes

word on the street is that the restaurant group fired/let Zarate go back in the fall and then laid off the staff without warning right before new years. His history of business/restarant failings certainly doesn’t help his reputation, but not sure how much of this can be pinned on Zarate alone.

1 Like

Imagine Holbox + Mo Chica in the same spot. I would eat there twice a week.

6 Likes

Yes original mo chica was the best!

2 Likes