Euro Pane's Egg Salad Sandwich

Due to a serious oversight on my part, I had not had one of these in about 3 years. I recalled the mounds of soft boiled egg. But today, I found something I had completely forgotten: the red pesto spread on the toast. This is the je ne c’est quoi of this sandwich.

5 Likes

Mais tu sais maintenant…

1 Like

Bien sur.

My new favorite thing at Euro Pane is the bacon and egg muffin.

En français, SVP

Once again another one gets away without me trying it. I read on @Chowseeker1999’s Konbi thread (like your reporting on the progression from opening until now btw) something about Euro Pane being sold and the egg salad sandwich going downhill? Bummer, it was on my list. But may I ask - if someone is able to put into words - what it was that made the sandwich so crazy good? I didn’t dare ask on that thread. If those meanies had been that asshole-y to me about going off-topic it probably would’ve gotten ugly.

1 Like

Soft(er) boiled eggs and lighter amounts of mayo than the competition

2 Likes

Ahhh… that seems simple, but precise boil time is crucial.

1 Like

It wasn’t just the eggs - there was a sun dried tomato relish which I once found the recipe for, but can’t locate now. Sorry.

4 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

I think your question would’ve been fair on the other thread, because the discussion was a comparison between Konbi and Euro Pane and why one is better than the other. :wink: (And I’d reply with an answer anyways.) :slight_smile:

What @Ns1 and @ebethsdad said. Somehow Chef-Owner Sumi Chang whipped up this ethereal, light just cooked through, delicate soft-boiled eggs, not overly mayo’d, the relish the flavors and the In-House-Baked Bread all came together to make this glorious sandwich that I’m sad thinking about how it’s gone now. :cry:

3 Likes

I actually got to speak with Sumi a little while ago (post retirement) and one little (well-known?) secret to her egg salad was the copiously judicious use of extra egg yolks, both as a binder and as a solidified ingredient.

7 Likes

Oh nice @ipsedixit! :slight_smile: Did you ask her to make a custom-made Egg Salad Sandwich for you on the spot? :wink: It is now extinct, sadly.

3 Likes

I’m sad about that egg salad too @Chowseeker1999! I definitely think it’s better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all! :disappointed_relieved: I’m in mourning and I never even had the darn sandwich.

Thanks! You’re sweet. But you never know. There is a nice, helpful way to handle those situations, like using @paranoidgarliclover’s suggestion or private messaging. But that’s anti-climactic. You need and audience when your goal is to embarrass someone else. Weak.

3 Likes

What kind of bread? If we get enough of these great tips we could try to recreate it. :grin:

I think you had your choice of bread? I vaguely recall the default option being an olive rosemary bread (or something like that)? Don’t quote me on that, though.

3 Likes

There was also a cranberry walnut bread, too. With the egg salad and sun-dried tomato spread…salty-sweet. I miss that damn sandwich.

5 Likes

I miss that damn sandwich too. :grin:

1 Like

I’d always get the egg salad on their rosemary currant bread :yum:

5 Likes

Oh man, the breads were as special as the sandwiches.

2 Likes

Hmmm … wonder if this was a way to use the yolks leftover from her macarons?

@TheCookie, on top of the above, I seem to recall the eggs being warmish - not hot, but also not chilled. And they were in chunks, not finely mushed up, with barely firmed yolks.

This was the egg salad of my dreams. Seems a shame to call it such a pedestrian name.

5 Likes