Expense account dinner on the Westside

don’t get me started.

What, you don’t want to pay $14 + tax and tip for fried cauliflower with fish sauce?

Melisse of course.

Cassia has a private dining room that might be good for such an occasion, though I don’t know if there’s a minimum number of diners. (Agreed on its prices rising to the point of it being “worthy” of an “expense account” dinner.)

Jeremy Fox is still at Rustic Canyon and they’re still doing great things. Melisse is always an option as already mentioned. Both seem to me to be more staid than “fun vibe” as is Belcampo, which would otherwise be another rec. Maybe one of the large format meals at Tar & Roses? Though only beer and wine, if that’s a dealbreaker.

1 Like

Am I the only one - well, one of the few - who found Cassia to be pretty mediocre? Was even visiting with a chef friend who works at a well known LA hot spot, and s/he felt the same.

What are we missing?

2 Likes

What did you order? Seems like there’s a few “misses” on the menu.

I liked Cassia the one time I went and would find it appropriate for a business dinner… Except the noise is TREMENDOUS in there, IMHO. If you don’t actually have to conduct, you know, business, it’s fine.

That’s a damn good question. It had to be late last Summer that we went (so, not long after opening?).

I’m looking over the menu now … trying to recall.

I know for sure we had both the charcuterie and seafood platters, as well as the laksa and fried rice.

I remember ordering some veggies, but for the life of me cannot recall which. And, I believe, a salad.

Cocktails all around, as well.

Meh.

Oh, and you’re right. It’s L-O-U-D.

1 Like

Tentatively made reservations at Yazawa. While probably not the vibe I’m looking for, feasting on wagyu beef will be a treat and appreciated by my clients.

Cassia doesn’t interest me at all.

1 Like

No you’re not the only one

I don’t like Cassia.

Capo is my go to for this sort of thing. Followed by Baltaire or Tavern or The Brentwood. Even Peppones.

1 Like

I second Cassia, Charcoal, Baltaire, and Rustic Canyon for expense account meals

Regarding Baltaire… I only went there once for happy hour. The food was so unimpressive that I would barely recommend it, even if someone else were paying.

However, to @tailbacku, if you’re going more for flash than substance (and if your clients likely couldn’t taste the difference), the dining room of Baltaire is MIGHTY impressive.

Re: Cassia. I loved the black cod and the laksa. I think we also had a whole fish which was very tasty. However, I had asked a friend who knows my taste for recs. We greatly enjoyed our meal.

Had I had some/many misses, I would’ve been VERY upset, though, given the prices they charge…

I found it to be quite a fun vibe .
I think all seats are a semi-private booth.
Quite conducive for conversation, yucks and over-beveraging.

they can also handle your meat, for the lazy

1 Like

How about Georgie’s? Or Melisse.

yuck yuck indeed

I’d skip Georgie unless you’re there to make a deal or entertain clients. The place itself is great but the food isn’t quite there yet imo. Melisse is fine dining so definitely go that route if you’re looking for white tablecloth stuff

Any Gwen thoughts?

I went a couple weeks ago. VERY good, but it ain’t cheap.

I’ll try and post a short review soon.

Rustic canyon - good food but not an expense account/celebratory type joint IMO