Experience Alert: Kiriko Has Tokishirazu Right Now

Tokishirazu refer specifically to young chum salmon which accidentally get lost and as a result get caught up “out of season” along with other fish from the cold and fast waters of Hokkaido around May/June. Because it is sexually immature (and also partly due to survival needs in colder waters), tokishirazu retains a much higher amount of fat (10-30%) than the usual adult salmon (usually <10% fat).

Translation: This stuff is absolutely delicious. Rich like o-toro, but totally different in feel and flavor - Probably the best salmon you’ve ever had. And those of you who eat at Kiriko regularly are already aware that Ken-san and his crew know their salmon and do it right.

Kiriko has one or two of these tokishirazu right now. That is all. Onegashimasu.

4 Likes

Yes, saw it on their Facebook. May have to pay them a lunchtime visit tomorrow unless Guerrilla Tacos’ menu convinces me otherwise. Any idea on pricing?

Dunno what the okonomi pricing on that is… I received this little piece of heaven as part of my omakase.

suddenly, my whole life becomes clear…

signed,
tokishirazu, formerly known as linus

10 Likes

Thanks to @J_L, I had to visit Kiriko again and try this rare experience. :slight_smile:

Spinach & 6 Mushroom Salad:

This was fantastic! Six different types of Mushrooms (sauteed in a Soy-based dressing) are then added on a bed of Spinach. The umami factor is high, and it’s just a nice Salad to start the meal. :slight_smile:

Rock Cod:

I had no idea Rock Cod could be served as Sushi, but hey I trust the itamae, LOL. The Rock Cod itself was a bit fishy (not like Mackerel). The texture was fine, but the ocean funk was high.

Aji (Spanish Mackerel):

Much better. Good tenderness, nice Ponzu, fresh.

Seared Tai:

This was disappointingly chewy and rubbery. :frowning:

Shisito and Eggplant Miso:

Fantastic dish. I really like Nasu and Shishito Peppers just as delectable. :slight_smile: The Miso was lightly sweet and added an umami angle.

Seared Toro:

Felt overdone. I really prefer my Toro (all types) pure and un-blowtorched. It was fine, but not standout.

Tokishirazu:

But thankfully the reason I showed up, showed up, LOL. :slight_smile: At first glance, I thought it was just regular Salmon and was disappointed.

Then I took a bite and WOW! @J_L was right! :slight_smile: This is SO GOOD! There’s this luscious, delicious mouthfeel, that’s not like Toro.

It was really, really awesome! I wish I could eat this every time I went out for Sushi. :slight_smile:

Huge thanks to @J_L for this rare experience!

4 Likes