Exploring Tehrangeles - The Interesting Persian Stews, Grilled Kabobs, Flavorful Rice Dishes, and Persian Ice Cream of Taste of Tehran, Attari Sandwich Shop, Shaherzad and Saffron & Rose [Thoughts + Pics]

duplicate

19 Likes

Everything just looks visually superior.

Btw keep an eye out for ‘Sangak’ bread, da bomb, crazy good!!! Always puzzles me why Persian restaurants don’t serve it as a standard bread basket option.

1 Like

Great writeup, as usual!

Try Naan Hut on Santa Monica Blvd. (near the intersection of Colby) for a formidable sangak.

5 Likes

Love naan hut. I get a simple sandwich every once in a while there when I’m not in a rush. When the bread is great you don’t need much

1 Like

Thanks @J_L for your recommendations in the first place! :slight_smile:

What dishes do you like at Naan Hut? Thanks.

You’re now on a list for having offended the only authentically Armenian bread. Not sure why Persians (Actually I am sure, it’s for the cost savings as we have a dozen bakeries I’m the area) are serving this instead of sangak but that’s our humble, survival story bread called lavash. Not intended to be an appetizer with butter as the French do but rather a delivery tool like a tortilla. While what we find mostly Ok to whatever level lavash here , when baked in a wood burning tonir it is a glorious thing

Satirically state’s of course

1 Like

Hi @Nemroz,

Ah apologies! Thanks for the info on that. I was only reporting on how very dry and unappetizing it was, compared to some of the restaurants that actually baked fresh flatbread when you sit down (Shamshiri Grill and Shaherzad will bake some of their handmade flatbread when you sit down (for free)). It is glorious and tastes nothing like the ones given out at Taste of Tehran and Attari. :sweat_smile:

Did you have a favorite place for Dizi? I remember you said you liked that lamb mash dish before. Thanks.

2 Likes

I had Taste of Tehran recently and felt like in addition to being pretty decent quality wise, but not great, it also was a rip off relative to other options in the area. They give you a mountain of rice and just a single kebob for like $20. Almost everyone else in the area gives two for around the same price.

1 Like

I’m the wrong Armenian. Only been to like 3 Persian spots, I think it must have been Darya, it’s the only one I’ve raves about. Don’t even know what a DiZi is :). I’m the Russian kind of Armo

1 Like

The Food Ranger can often get a bit cheesy, but a good idea of what dizi is can be seen starting at 0:50sec…

2 Likes

Not @J_L but naan hut is basically a boulangerie. They do have a couple sandwiches and a small cold case but mostly people are buying the bread for home

2 Likes

My Armo friend :slight_smile: from Iran says Nersses has the best Dizi.

https://nersses.com/

Says it’s a hole in the wall.

2 Likes

Hi @aaqjr,

Ah! Thanks for the clarifying. OK, good to know. Definitely still want to try it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Gr8pimpin,

Thanks! Bookmarked. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Because it goes stale fast, store bought stuff sucks and there are only a couple of bakeries doing it fresh as far as I know and not at scale. Our local on Pico is closed now

1 Like

Just don’t go in a rush or call ahead because they are basicly making the bread for your sandwich to order

1 Like

Ah yes I was going to send @Chowseeker1999 to this place but saw on yelp they have since shuttered. I had my first sangak encounter here.

1 Like

The one up in Woodland Hills is scores better (if it’s still there)

1 Like

Yeah my go-to is in Woodland Hills

That bread is indeed lavash. Attari does serve sangak - see this picture for an example.

1 Like