Exquisite Kappo Cuisine Arrives in L.A. - Welcome to Shibumi [Thoughts + Pics]

I agree - regarding the complaint to management.
But in a place like Shibumi, especially if you are at the counter, where the chef of the night is standing a few feet from you with a very sharp knife…I would not (and did not) feel comfortable relaying my thoughts.

6 Likes

i wonder if sergio would have made a difference in this case. all the dishes @CiaoBob had are cooked in the back by a line cook, not by sergio. and the expediting is done by somebody else, so those dishes may not have even been touched by sergio if he was there.

2 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Good point. I do know the numerous times we’ve been to Shibumi, I’ve seen Chef Schlosser go in the kitchen a few times during the evening. I’ve seen him look at dishes that come out and send them back into the kitchen. A couple of times, I’ve also seen him hand slice the Holstein Beef or Wagyu (or also the Pork), and saw him cut a tiny sliver of it to taste it.

Not every time, but I’ve seen all of the above happen over the various visits. So maybe it might’ve helped, or maybe not (if he was too busy and didn’t try any of the dishes). Very unfortunate either way.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth Schlosser was right in front of us and I didn’t see him touch anything either other than the yellowtail sashimi. I just found the food tremendously unbalanced and almost cloying in its flavor.

A pretty good video that just got released today. Good coverage on what he does for chinmi. Too bad no coverage on anything sake related.

5 Likes

Open your own restaurant, work your ass off for 3 years, earn a Michelin star and according to Eater, you are still just “a Former Masa Apprentice”. Bad form, Eater.

4 Likes

Or maybe (and this is pure speculation, but it sometimes happens in Japan) that the sempai disapproved of the kohai making sushi for whatever reason.

Again, this is speculation, but these things can happen during the training of potential shokunin, for whatever personal or skills-based reasons.

So, just to get this right, you are speculating that Masa told Schlosser, “I ban you from serving sushi! Not only in my restaurant, but in any other restaurant that you work in. Even if you open your own restaurant! Banned! You have not reached the level of SHOKUNIN!”

Gotta get that clickbaity headline somehow.

Lots of other ways to make a clickbaity headline without disrespecting the person that helped you to create the actual content.

“Michelin-starred Chef David Schlosser grills up moray eel!”

That moray eel did look delicious…:yum:

1 Like

Masa Windu: “You are on this Council, but we do not grant you the rank of Shokunin”

Chef in training: “What?! How can you do this? This is outrageous, it’s unfair … I’m make better ass aged chinmi than any of you muddafuggaz. How can you be on the Council and not be a Shokunin?”

Masa Windu: “Take a seat or open your own kappo restaurant, my Jedi apprentice…”

1 Like

Yes, essentially that’s a possible scenario that plays out in Japanese culture. That shit can really happen in a traditional sempai/kohai relationship. But again, not sure what the hell actually happened in Shibumi’s case, 'cuz we’re not in Japan.

Yeah, pretty much this.

No, it does not.

Maybe you are referring to a noren-wake situation?

2 Likes

Ah yes, thanks for the correct terminology. Appreciate it.

that yahata-maki (eel wrapped burdock) was damn good too.

3 Likes

Schlosser’s resume is crazy:

2 Likes

chinmi

fish drying in the kitchen

That is indeed a snowman.

chinmi: I ate the uni before I remembered to take a photo.

fresh tofu with sesame: they added something (rice flour?) to give a sort of mochi-ish texture

house martini

tai with jellied skin

iced whitebait? I liked it better as it warmed up a bit

nice cup for the Born

Sweet potato with miso. Delicious and totally unexpected. Reminded me of having peanut butter on toast when I was a kid.

gnocchi, more or less, very chewy

perfect salmon

beef

with rice, soup, and pickles

It was quiet when I arrived at 6:00, but by 7:30 they were full and the chefs were busy.

Some big spender went nuts with the chinmi and got an extra item I didn’t.

hoji cha

kinako ice cream with kinako

Expensive but solid value for money.

6 Likes

i was wondering if that dab of sauce was one of the chinmi before i read your caption!

All of the sake you had can be either purchased from or special ordered (ie Harada Junmai) through True Sake in SF, in case you want to buy something.

1 Like