Extended YOLOmakase at Shunji

Sure!

For value and something unique, that bottle of Ichigo is solid. $22 / glass but I’d recommend just getting the whole bottle for $80 and you can take it home if you can’t finish it all (refrigerate it immediately if you do). Even more amazing in a white wine glass, try it also in their smaller sake cups. I was surprised how much better it tasted compared to 3 to 4 years ago (then again my tastes have changed a lot since then)

There is a $47 300 mL bottle of a Fukuoka prefecture sake Kitaya Kansansui. I haven’t had it in a while, but it’s an alternative to try if you are bored of Born Gold and want something different. Sushi Yoshizumi in San Mateo carries this as well and is quite popular too.

I haven’t had it in a while but I really enjoyed the “Ken” Daiginjo ($125) and the way it drank.

Kuroushi Junmai Ginjo $20 for the one cup sake version or $70 a bottle

Seiden Omachi Junmai Ginjo - $65… solid food pairing sake and good value. It’s got it all…the right amount of acidity, and some wonderful earthiness and structure from the Omachi rice varietal. The distributor actually carries two other bottles from the brewery, basically the same style and rice polish but using different rice varietal. Yamada Nishiki and Gohyakumangoku. Each one does taste different, can’t say which one I prefer more. They are all polished to 50% so basically minimum Junmai Daiginjo level.

The rest are very baller kind of sake on their reserve men. But Daishichi Minowamon Junmai Daiginjo from that list is a good one ($160 / bottle), I think this would work with his style of sushi and small plates. Though I haven’t had it in a while. The sake is actually aged I think 2 to 3 years, so if you see an old date on the bottle it doesn’t mean it’s expired (freaked me out once until I knew haha).

(Pretty clear that Shunji san loves Fukushima prefecture sake)

2 Likes

Hi @beefnoguy,

Great recommendations. :slight_smile: We had the Daishichi Minowamon at Shunji on our last visit and as you said, it paired nicely and was great on its own.

1 Like

“Glowing” reviews? ;-D

(sorry I couldn’t resist)

2 Likes

:laughing: The pairing that has a radiant profile would require the maestro behind the counter don a Daft Punk helmet. Jean Michel Jarre would also need to bring his laser harp. The techno rave freestyle remix omakase would last until 5 am before it’s time for decontamination.

1 Like