Extensive Paso Robles knowledge available to you on request

we are all systems go for july 4th weekend. airbnb is easy.

1 Like

The Hatch is still top dog.

BL is pretty good but had some issues yesterday.

But there’s a newcomer we need to try called Les Petites Canailles opened by someone at L’Aventure

Hatch tho Is classic American heavy in southern notes . It wAs much better today during spaced out seating. It gets messy when it’s mobbed

4 Likes

Other visuals

4 Likes

booked for this weekend… they’re doing Prix Fixe 5 course dinners… hope we love love it as its for her birthday.

Miss Jamie of Bell St Farms

1 Like

Guess Bell’s is the top dog in these here parts then
Birthday girl was very happy

3 Likes

Les Petites Canailles was very newly opened when we went last year. The food was quite good with a solid wine list. Though the service was earnest, it needed a little polishing. They had just opened and it’s likely they’ve ironed that out.

Good to hear about Bell’s. Up for the prix fixe for a bday in the next couple of weeks.

1 Like

We took a mental health day up to Paso recently. It was a spur of the moment thing so we didn’t do much planning. We did our planning as we were driving north.
We opened the day at Niner. The winery itself was lovely. The service was also great. We got verbal tour of Paso…we learned about the AVA and the variation of the soils and land in the area. The wines were a bit young or tannic for our tastes.
We headed into downtown for a tasting at Justin…don’t ask. It wasn’t my choice. We sat for a glass and then did some exploring. We rather liked the downtown area…it reminded us of Sonoma…except more sprawling.
We went up to Calcareous for the last tasting of the day. The views were gorgeous. I found that I rather enjoyed the Lily Blanc…a refreshing white on a hot summer day. We weren’t fans of the reds they had on hand…still a little too young for us.
We quite enjoyed our day out in Paso. We’re looking to come back in November for a couple days to do some more exploring and use some of the tips on this thread.

5 Likes

Ya please upgrade all of those and try to stay away from the big corporate ones. But also there’s no awful wine up there and it’s always nice to just be out in the area. You’ll love it so much more when it’s not hot

@Nemroz first place I’ve seen with Herman Story wines. We thoroughly enjoyed our tasting up there and purchased a few for home.

Hi-Times in Costa Mesa.

1 Like

very cool!.. that’s a better price than retail at the winery… which makes sense for a sale…
we picked up our fall shipment and had another bomb tasting recently.

Any places with a good deli case for picnic purposes?

I’m told J&R. But haven’t been. We pack a cooler usually

It’s been a minute but I seem to remember Etto Pastificio in Tin City had some cool salami, cheese, and spreads. Someone recommended Cured and Cultivated at some point but it’s pretty fancy and we didn’t end up going for it.

Industrial eats has lots of great sandwiches.

Etto is a cool Italian deli.

Going up Memorial Day weekend and staying with 6 families total at Cava Robles. It’s glamping. We will most likely not go out to eat since we are a large group. Anybody have recommendations for good markets in the area? We’ll hit up the FM Saturday in the square. Many of us are going to go up with a cooler of food and the accommodations have kitchenette and communal grilling areas.

Has anybody been to Paso Market Walk? Any recommendations? Do you think a group of 25 would overwhelm them if we went over for dinner one night?

1 Like

WOOOW. That looks very fun and wifey remembered she had heard about this before. We keep staying in Cambria but this is going to have to happen soon also. Market Walk looks great as well. Never heard of it.

I don’t think i’m any help for a group that big food wise. Biggest meal we’ve had was at the Hatch with a 13 people. J&R is where it’s at for grilling meats. Hope you get to hang at wineries. I’d break up the group if i had to and not miss. Thacher might be able to accomodate a large group since they put large picnic tables down by the stables. I love them so much. Maybe Venteux as well. At that level i’d do a mix of tastings and wine bottles.

1 Like

Thanks will probably pick up produce at Saturday FM (even though it looks like a small market) and meats at J&R.

Have you been here? Sandwiches look good. On the expensive side.
https://pasocheese.square.site/s/shop

nope. we almost always just stay and eat dinners in Cambria now.

@Nemroz J and R was a cool spot. We got a bunch of sausages and steaks. The kids loved the little pork chops on the bone. Highly recommend.

Tin City was packed on Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. We spent our time outside at Barrelhouse. The beers were good. Food truck parked outside. Kids were happy for the Sheeps milk ice cream at Negranti Creamery. Definitely an icier texture than normal ice cream but lovely vanilla and peanut butter chocolate chip. Went across the street to Aaron for tastings. Very good and our favorite tasting room in Tin City - take it with a grain of salt since we’ve only tried 3 at most.

We tried out the Paso Market Walk food hall. There isn’t much selection but out of all the vendors we really liked Just Baked and Paso Robles Wine Merchant. The cookies at Just Baked were of the gooey softer type. All of the flavors we tasted were excellent. My favorite was the ginger cookie and peanut butter toffee. If this place was near us we’d go here frequently for cookies. The wine merchant had very good local options with a friendly owner. The food was better than it needed to be especially the sourdough pretzel, oysters and pea pesto pasta with burrata.

No winery tasting due to the size of our group. Most wineries are limiting groups to 6 and most are using Tock for bookings.

If Paso Robles wasn’t so far away we’d definitely go more often.

1 Like

It’s not far away! lol… Napa is far away. . . you’re supposed to go with a small group and maximize your visits per year :stuck_out_tongue: hope you go back and really get into the vineyards there. Really glad you tried Aaron though. Definitely best in Tin.

1 Like