Fancy Name or RM when you go shopping for bubbles?

When you buy Champagne, do you tend to go for the fancy name, or branch out and try some RMs that you may not even be familiar with.

In recent times, I’ve tended toward the RMs.

(1) They are more interesting.
(2) A good local importer will steer you in the right direction.
(3) You’ll drink better at in the $60 range than others are drinking in the $100+ range.
(4) I’m generally trying to delight my own palate, and not impress others with a label.
(5) If I am trying to delight others with taste, they are generally surprised.

RM=?

Room
Royal Mail
Risk Management
Resource Management
Records Management
Rack Mount
Resource Manager
Real Madrid (Spanish soccer club)
River Mile
Rocky Mountain(s)
Marshall Islands
Rural Municipality
Relationship Manager
Reference Material
Remember Me
Rocky Mount (Virginia, USA)
Remote Monitoring
Revenue Management
Regional Manager
Reference Model
Reference Model (Telcordia)
Raw Material
Royal Marines (British)
Remake (gaming)
Rule Making
Romford (postcode, United Kingdom)
Requirements Management
Ream
Ricky Martin (Latin music artist)
Repetition Maximum
Ringgit Malaysia (Malaysian Ringgit)
Rockman (video game)
Remove Command (Unix)
Reichsmark (German Marks until 1945)
RPG Maker (utility program)
Risk Mitigation
Red Maple
Real McCoy (music artist)
Reiki Master
Roxy Music (band)
Reference Monitor
Répertoire des Métiers (French: Trade Index)
Radioman (USN Rating)
Registered Midwife
Release Management (Sprint)
Research Method
Relational Model
Release Mechanism
Reliability Maintainability
Rocket Motor
Randy Moss (NFL player)
Radical Mastectomy
Remy Ma (music artist)
Red Music (band)
Reset Mode
Roma - Rome (Lazio, Italy)
Radio Modem
Rigor Mortis (medical)
Rice Mill
Rey Mysterio (pro-wrestler)
Remington Magnum
Recovery Mechanism
Rate Monotonic
Return Material
Radiation Monitor(ing)
Research Module
Regulated Market
Returned Missionary
Repair Most
Remote Manipulator
Reed-Muller (coding algorithm)
Ring Master
Remote Module
Research Machines plc (UK)
Russian Mafia
Richtmyer-Meshkov
Route Master (type of UK bus)
Record Mark
Reactive Maintenance (reliability)
Raphe Magnus
Reba McIntyre (country music singer/actor)
Requirements Manager
Registration Manager (SIF)
Reflective Memory
Restriction of Movement
Results Manager
Respiratory Movement
Règlement Mensuel
Resources Monitor
Red Mage (Final Fantasy game)
Relay Master (USDAA dog agility title)
Redundancy Management (Telcordia)
Register Mark
Rapid Mix (water treatment)
Repetitive Manufacturing
Residence Manager
Reeling Machine
Roy Mustang (military general in Fullmetal alchemist)
Retrieval Mode
Intrinsic rate of natural increase
Radiant Mercury
Reagent Mix
Registered Microbiologist
Replaceable Module
Resource Management Bureau
Mission Reliability
Ranch-to-Market road (Texas)
Radar Mile
Rathe Mountains (Everquest)
Remote Multiplexer
Rescue Module
Rocky Maivia (WWE wrestler)
Retrieval Manager
Repulsion Motor
Redstone Mercury
Reconfiguration Management
Robocon Magazine (Japan)
Refueling Machine
Rupiz Media (marketing solution provider)
Rant Media (Counterculture media network)
Réponse Mineure (French)
Rohbaumaß
Reservas Militares (Spanish, Guatemala)
US Embossed Revenue Stamped Paper (Scott Catalogue prefix; philately)
Rand McFarland, Company
Directorate for Resource Management
RealMedia audiovisual file (file extension; RealNetworks)
Riegos Modernos (Guatemala)
Requiring Manager
Right Midboard
Right-Arm Medium (cricket)
Resolvent Matrix (mathematics)
Rozen Maiden (anime)
Round Midnight
Robloxian Military (gaming)
Red Magic
Removable Media (various companies)
Reference Mission (US NASA)
Regretful Morning (website)

Récoltant-Manipulant?

1 Like

Well, that’s 30 seconds of my life I’ll never get back.

2 Likes

If I can find one, I go for a label that’s newly distributed in my area and trying to establish itself. That generally means better wine at whatever price point.

Charles,

Every bottle of Champagne will have a type of number on the label identifying the producer/brand. These are each proceeded by two initials, as follows:

• NMNégociant Manipulant, responsible the majority of Champagne produced, houses that not only grow grapes, but typically buy in grapes and (sometimes) buy wine sur latte, the potential result ca be a huge variation in quality - not all bad. Think Moët & Chandon, Verve Clicquot, Louis Roederer, Perrier-Jouët, Taittinger, Bollinger, etc.

• RMRécoltant Manipulant, a grower who makes Champagne out of their own grapes which includes some outstanding (quality) wines, some very good (value) wines, and some which are pretty dire. Think Pierre Peters, Chartogne-Taillet, A. Margaine, Egly-Ouriet, Jacques Selosse, etc.

• CM - Cave-Coopérative Manipulant, not usually great but can be excellent. H. Blin can make some excellent vintage champagne, Jacquart have some good cuvees, Beaumont des Crayères can be a good buy, etc., etc. Mailly is an example of a Champagne sold under the name of the co-op, but most – like the Union Champagne – have a number of different brands in their portfolio, and/or will sell wines under a private label for a retail store/wine merchant.

• RCRécoltant Co-opérateur, someone who’s a member of a co-op and buys back wine from them to sell under their own label. An example of this would be Champagne Lechère, which makes the “Cuvée Orient Express” at the aforementioned co-op, Union Champagne, located at Avize.

Note the NM number in small print at the bottom-right of the label.

Note the RM number in small print right above “PRODUCT OF FRANCE”

Yes.

I tend to buy a) what’s good¹, regardless of the initials in fine print on the label, and b) what is (reasonably) affordable; it also c) depends upon the occasion.

What that translates to is that I do have certain favorite producers, and it’s irrelevant to me whether they are NM, RM, CM, or RD’s . . . as long as I like what’s in the bottle – and it suits what I’m in the mood for (Blanc de Blancs, Brut Rosé, full bodied, light bodied, tête de cuvée, etc., etc.). So for example, my favorite Brut Rosé remains Billecart-Salmon (an “NM”), while my favorite Brut BdB is Pierre Peters (an “RM”).

But I see no reason whatsoever in spending the proverbial beaucoups bucks on fancy labels (think Jay-Z’s total bull$#|+ Armand de Brignac “Ace of Spades” Champagne) when there are umpteen labels which are better and less expensive . . .

OTOH, if the bottle is for someone else – as, say, a birthday present – the question becomes: will they appreciate the wine within the bottle, or would they be more impressed with the label? Even then, I’d stick with something like Moët & Chandon’s “Cuvée Dom Pérignon,” or Taittinger’s “Comte de Champagne” over anything so ridiculous as the “Ace of Spades”!

//////////\

Now, one thing you may not know – or perhaps you do; I have no idea – is that, having spent most of my life in the wine trade, it’s probably reasonably safe to presume that I have tried any number of “Grower Champagnes” aka “Farmer’s Fizz” aka Récoltant-Manipulant (“RM’s”). I do not for a moment want to suggest that I’ve tried them all, or are familiar with all of them, but I’ve probably at some point tried a majority of those labels brought into the U.S.

Overall, it is true that I tend to buy more récoltant manipulant (grower) Champagnes than I do from the large producers (négociant manipulant).

¹ Though, I’ll confess “good” is an understatement; I find I have little patience for wines which are merely “good.”

???

“The Marshall Islands, officially the Republic of the Marshall Islands…”

Charles,

Every bottle of Champagne will have a type of number on the label identifying the producer/brand. These are each proceeded by two initials, as follows:

Cher monsieur, je suis très reconnaissant de vôtre aide.
À la vôtre!

But wouldn’t that be R M I . . .

;^)

Mais bien sûr, il est de mon plaisir et l’honneur d’être de l’aide . . .

Thanks! I was wondering too