Fantastic Japanese Tapas (Izakaya) hits West Hollywood - Aburiya RAKU - pictures

Thanks for the reminder! Their kamameshi sounds like the ultimate comfort food right now, and that’s amazing how they’ll put it in your rice cooker for you.

1 Like

Hey y’all, how much food is the chirashi here? It looks big but no uni for scale.

@Chowseeker1999 doesn’t appear inari is on the Togo menu.

1 Like

About the size of two shin chirashis

3 Likes

Measurements I can understand.

Hi @Ns1,

It’s there. You just have to ask for it. :slight_smile:

And what @PorkyBelly said for how much food it is. Enjoy!

1 Like

Update XX: (To-Go, Part 3)

Another fantastic meal To-Go from Aburiya Raku’s Assistant Chef James Sugishita. :blush:

(Special Order) Bara Chirashi Bento Box:

This week’s Bara Chirashi includes:

Hon-Maguro (Chutoro + Akami-zuke) (Medium Fatty Tuna Belly and Lean Bluefin Tuna Marinated in Soy Sauce); Kinmedai (Splendid Alfonsino) Seared with Binchotan Charcoal; Ni-Anago (Simmered Conger Eel); Kasugodai (Baby Japanese Snappe, Lightly Marinated in Sweet Vinegar); Ikura (Salmon Roe); Kohada (Gizzard Shad); Shiitake-ni (Simmered Shiitake Mushrooms); Seared Hokkaido Scallops; Kuruma Ebi (Japanese Tiger Prawns); Atsuyaki Tamago (Japanese Egg Castella); Kyuri Sunomono (Pickled Japanese Cucumbers):

Incredible! :heart: Sugishita-san is definitely getting better and better each week. Having taken @PorkyBelly’s feedback. Chef Sugishita is now doing a flavorful, well-seasoned Rice to go with the Chirashi. :slight_smile:

I loved the Hokkaido Scallops in today’s Chirashi, silky and tender and so, so fresh! :heart: Loved the Chutoro (Medium Fatty Tuna Belly), and @J_L’s favorite Akami, but for today’s preparation the Kohada (Gizzard Shad) was stunning! So deeply oily (inherently), lovely, and distinct! :heart:

And the Kuruma Ebi (Japanese Tiger Prawn) was outstanding! :blush: (@PorkyBelly @J_L @JeetKuneBao @TheCookie @attran99 @A5KOBE @Omotesando and others.)

But one thing we were always hoping to try from Chef Sugishita from his time at Hayato working under Chef Go…

(Special Order) Nodoguro Meshi (Blackthroat Sea Perch Iron Pot Rice from Japan):

YES! Chef Sugishita learned how to make his own version of the Meshi (Rice) course from Hayato’s legendary Kaiseki meal during his time working there! :blush: :open_mouth: And he can make it for Special Order!

Just look at how stunning that is, fresh from the Kama (Iron Pot)! :heart:

What Chef Sugishita is preparing for those that have never been to Hayato, is one of Hayato’s highlight courses (the Rice Course) from the beautiful Kaiseki meal. It is the highlight that @PorkyBelly @J_L will tackle with vigor and joy, one of the parts of meal I can’t stop thinking about afterwards. :blush:

And you get to have it in the comfort of your own home! :open_mouth:

Taking a bite:

There’s probably a tiny perceptible difference between Go-san’s OG version and Sugishita-san’s version, but it’s so close. Buttery (no dairy!), luscious, succulent, mouth-watering, STUNNINGLY GREAT! SO GOOD! :heart: :blush: :heart:

The Nodoguro (Blackthroat Sea Pearch) from Japan is in season right now, and prized by so many of our top Sushi Chefs (Maru-san couldn’t stop talking about it during one of our visits 2 years ago). It’s a naturally fattier Fish, the flavor is incredible, so balanced, delicate, but flavorful, there’s an inherent umami factor here.

Do not miss this! (@J_L @PorkyBelly @beefnoguy @A5KOBE @Sgee @attran99 @TheCookie @Ns1 @Omotesando and others!) :heart:

Sugishita-san also includes Housemade Takana (Japanese Pickled Mustard Greens) and Ikura (Salmon Roe), but add those judiciously. We loved it straight up, without adding anything, but then added some Takana and Ikura to change the flavor a bit (still delicious)! :heart:

Chef Sugishita is really coming into his own, and during the pandemic of all times. His previous time training under Mori Sushi and Hayato is starting to bear fruit.

Aburiya Raku’s regular Takeout menu has some great highlights already, but with the Special Order items (from Chef Sugishita), it just makes the entire experience that much better. Don’t miss out on the Special Order Bara Chirashi Box. The pristine Sushi-grade Fish is outstanding and the flavors are coming together more and more. It is one of the best in the city right now.

And for those that want to get a really special item, one of Hayato’s legendary highlights from its Kaiseki meal, give the Nodoguro Meshi (Blackthroat Sea Perch Iron Pot Rice) a try. It is easily one of the best dishes we’ve had this year, even before the pandemic hit.

As before, for the Bara Chirashi Bento and this Nodoguro Meshi, you should contact Chef Sugishita via his Instagram to pre-order, and then you can pick it up at Aburiya Raku.

Aburiya Raku
521 N. La Cienega Blvd.
West Hollywood, CA 90048
Tel: (213) 308-9393

http://aburiyarakula.wixsite.com/weho

16 Likes

:exploding_head: More reasons to come into the city on weekends. So I can prepare my budget and figure out when I can order, what’s the financial impact? The chirashi looks upgraded from what it first started as, too.

5 Likes

Hi @attran99,

I think you’ll love it. :wink: Sugishita-san said it’s best to say it’s “Market Price.” Because it’s reliant on 1 type of Fish only, that Meshi (Rice) dish varies heavily on the price he can get it. He showed me an example of where the Nodoguro price for the week varied as much as ~$40 from one week to the next, so he said it’s best to contact him for final pricing.

You can order a Half or Whole Nodoguro Meshi special order. Enjoy! :blush:

5 Likes

:scream:

8 Likes

I guess I know what I’m going to ask for soon.

1 Like

Damn a side of hotaru ika

1 Like

Just confirmed with Raku’s manager:

Aburiya Raku is permanently closed. :sob:

It was sold and the entire staff is leaving / has left. The restaurant will be transformed into a new concept, but the manager has no idea what it will be.

What a huge loss for L.A. :cry: (@PorkyBelly @J_L @attran99 @TheCookie @A5KOBE @Ns1 @CiaoBob @beefnoguy @foodshutterbug @beam and others.)

12 Likes

Indeed a great loss. Hopefully the LV one makes it so we can still enjoy all those great dishes.

2 Likes

This is absolutely horrible news.

Crushing news…

1 Like

Aburiya Raku LA stayed open as long as possible during the pandemic to keep everyone on staff employed.

10 Likes

That’s terrible, although not surprising as I heard they were behind on their bills. Hopefully chef James finds a place to land.

2 Likes

Terrible loss for LA. I hope they can keep Las Vegas open

1 Like

Nooooooooo!!!

Glad to have dined there over the years. Great meals each time.

2 Likes

Brutal, had many memorable meals there

2 Likes