Farmers market, currently in season PSA

Happens with alarming regularity at my house… #PlantsAREtheZombies

veggies are zombies 2

12 Likes

Exactly. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Finally got a good watermelon (From Tutti Frutti FWIW). Stone fruit not super impressive but the apples and pears are definitely rounding into form. Pineapple guavas, one of my favorites, are in several different places (though honestly the ones next to the tennis courts at Douglas Park are just as good).

5 Likes

Got the Tenerelli Somersets at the BHFM @yoda!

The tart sweetness makes it a great peach for baking and desserts and I was going to attempt the peach cream pie on Tenerelli’s IG page but we kept eating them until we only have one peach left. :yum: Think I’ll at least cut it, grill it and make a salad with it.

Also got a huge, rich, creamy Nabal Avocado from an interesting assortment at Westfield Farms.

The nabal is so big I used a serving spoon to scoop out the flesh and it dwarfed the spoon lol.

Munak Ranch Sugar Cube Melon

I got this in my farm box delivery. It had no melon aroma coming from the vine spot even after sitting on the counter for days. I didn’t want it to get too soft so I cut into it not expecting much. :blush: Delicious. I guess the moral of the story is never judge a melon by it’s cover or simply all melons are different. Aroma or no aroma this was a fantastic sweet & juicy melon! Yep, Munak Ranch grows some damn fine melons! :melon:

11 Likes

Great color on that nabal avo! How was the flavor compared to a Haas

1 Like

Hi @aaqjr

Isn’t that pretty? My photo highlighting helped, lol, but it did have great color. The Nabal is in the Reed family but it is a little creamier, denser, not quite as sweet and watery as Reeds can be. I actually have one of their Haas avocados that is just about ripe. I’ll get back to you on the flavor and texture. :wink:

2 Likes

@TheCookie which FM is your favorite for fruit stands, and vendors you love, too? Please share :two_hearts: I can’t wait to see some of my favorite citrus again this weekend!

1 Like

Something about the nuttyness of a great hass avocado that is hard to beat. Still remember one i had from See Canyon (more famous for their apples) years ago. Just fantastic.

1 Like

Hi @Armillaria

Welcome to Food Talk Central. Let me give you too much information. :slightly_smiling_face:

Good questions and maybe other food talkers will chime in. I think folks like Arnett Farms and Ken’s Top Notch for citrus and apples in the fall.

The big farmers markets with every vendor are in Santa Monica (various locations) and Hollywood (Ivar). I prefer the smaller farmers markets - Bev Hills, Culver City and occasionally Larchmont in a pinch. Because I have a tendency to over-shop the big markets are overwhelming for me.

Here’s info on my spots:

1. Beverly Hills FM (Sunday) is my fave. It’s a convenient drive from my ‘hood. And it has everything for one-stop shopping - excellent vegetable, fruit, meat, seafood, dairy and prepared food vendors with enough of what I call the designer vendors (tenerelli, harry’s berries, weiser, jyan isaac bread, lodge and more). With the fall season starting I’m still discovering who has the best apples and citrus.
  1. Culver City (Tuesday) comes in 2nd. They don’t have Tenerelli’s (maybe now?) & Harry’s Berries but they have Arnett Farms and quite a few chef favorites like Underwood (Manzke is a regular), Tamai, Murray Family Farms. A plus is CC has more vendors who sell herbs, peppers and produce for Asian cooking than BH & Larchmont (see ramones family farm). If CC wasn’t on Tuesday I’d frequent it more.
  1. I put Larchmont (weds & Sunday) at 3rd. It’s nice, organic and my favorite seafood vendor (Dry Dock) is there on Sundays. But it’s really small and has few of the popular vendors of other markets.

https://larchmontla.com/larchmont-village-farmers-market/

Here’s another Farmers Market thread with more info on individual vendors.

Happy Farmers Marketing!

11 Likes

@TheCookie this is it! This is why I signed up for FTC! Done :white_check_mark: Thank you so much! I’ve recently moved to LA and often get disappointed about the produce quality at convenient chain grocery stores around here. Still on the quest to discover all the possible grocery adventures :sparkles:

1 Like

Wednesday Santa Monica along with Hollywood Sunday are the big ones. See Canyon right now has great Apples at the SMFM. Mud Creek Ranch has great citrus and the largest variety including Sudachi and Yuzu in season. Garcia Organic citrus isn’t as well known as some of the others but they have consistently good stuff.

3 Likes

@TheCookie listed a lot of the great farmers and vendors we’re lucky to have in the LA/OC area. We used to live near Beverly Hills and this was a very convenient market with good number of vendors but on the smaller side. Harry Berrys and Weiser for the best potatoes, melons and sunchokes.

If you are near Torrance I think the Saturday market is very good. Good selection of produce and a lot of prepared food vendors. Parking is a nightmare.

2 Likes

@js76wisco I visited the Saturday Torrance FM a few times, love it a lot but it’s so far from DTLA. I went to Hollywood FM mostly to eat oysters because it’s so overwhelming with too many vendors. I like to walk around the SMFM the most (for fruits) so far. It’s also nice to stroll around LACMA after to get more steps in lol

@aaqjr I’ll check out Mud Creek Ranch this weekend!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing @TheCookie Here are some of my Somerset pictures from a couple weeks ago.

On a piece of Sara Lee Poundcake :crazy_face: unfortunately didn’t have any ice cream

Btw, to add to your reply to @Armillaria Culver City FM had Tenerelli in 2020 when I last visited, and they’re listed on the link you posted. Culver City also had (still has?) JFC the Japanese ramen crust fried chicken, which got a nice report from @Ns1

https://www.foodtalkcentral.com/t/august-2022-rundown/14667/10

https://www.instagram.com/p/CceQ0dUPIdK/

I also liked Mar Vista in 2020; they had Tenerelli, Murray, Wong Farmer for mangos, and the Japanese Magical Grapes.

For everyone out east, Pasadena in the park on Saturday is one of the better options. Alhambra also has Tenerelli and Ken’s.

5 Likes

@Yodaa I ran into Mar Vista quickly for Magical Grapes this year but didn’t have a chance to browse around yet. It was so nice, I must come back. Still need to check out the East side FM for fun! I’ll look into the fried chicken, apparently besides fruits, that’s the next thing I’m into :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I should add that Mud Creek is only at The 2 big FM’s Wednesday Santa Monica and Sunday Hollywood in LA county

This will be my weekend agenda this week or next! Thank you.

I’ve gotta get some pound cake. :slightly_smiling_face:

Good news about Tenerelli at CC! I saw them on the list but wasn’t sure it was correct because they weren’t there before the pandemic or when they reopened during the lockdown. But now I’m remembering someone else posted a while back that they were at CC and I had the same surprised reaction. :sweat_smile: The memory is fading. Tenerelli might be gone by next week but I need to get over to CC to see all the offerings… and get some ramen crusted fried chicken!

P.S. I like Mar Vista too.

2 Likes

CC is Tuesdays only?

1 Like

Yep, but it’s open until 7p which is cool for peeps who live close.

1 Like