Farmers market, currently in season PSA

PSA: Tenerelli Sugar Giants! Get them if you can!

The name says it all… but it doesn’t describe the aroma and flavor. :hearts::blush::peach::hearts:

9 Likes

I discovered the mystery of the incredibly juicy, but not incredibly flavorful peach. It’s still an excellent peach, just harvested too soon. I always remember a good peach has stripes on top (the more the merrier) but what color should they be?..

White peach stripes might be a tad lighter.

Remember my excited PSA a couple Sundays ago? Because this…

2019 Sugar Giants (white peach)

495e0833b17a2127124c1c9ee1f913ed0fc4ea38

If you looked up the word ambrosia in the dictionary you’d see a photo of these peaches harvested in 2019. Definitely the best peach I’ve ever had, but possibly the best piece of fruit I’ve ever had. As I wrote in my ‘19 report, I wanted to kiss a Tenerelli. :hearts:

2020 Sugar Giants (white peach)

Picked by them (new rule). Well… most were not particularly ambrosia, only slightly sweet, more watery than juicy - like the example says, they can ripen but most likely won’t have flavor if harvested too soon. :smirk:

But! No complaining with so much stone fruit goodness to be had right now. :blush: Lucky Californians! Here’s some examples…

Tenerelli - BHFM

Sugar Ladies (white peach)

July Flames (yellow peaches)

Farmer John Tenerelli’s “favorite”. The Sugar Ladies are nice & sweet, but the sweet, ripe, acidic yellows could be the ticket, right now.

Diamond Ray (yellow nectarine)

Another Tenerelli favorite.

Their Seasonal Chart

Saturn aka Donut Peaches from Murray Family Farms

Low-acid, sweet with a hint of butter cookie, which the internet says is almond… ok I can go with that. Anyway, they hold their own with Arnett Peaches and are no slouch when comparing with Tenerelli.

The moral of the story is: continue to select your own peaches even if it’s just to look & point… and even if it’s a Tenerelli picking it for you… they can get distracted too. :wink:

Happy Perfect :peach: Seeking!

16 Likes

PSA: the Tenerelli’s said they’ll have the excellent O’Henry Yellow Peaches this weekend! They’re the bigger, beautiful, tastier cousin of last weeks Summer Ladies or some such thing… anyway, they seemed pretty excited about them. :blush::peach::blush:

5 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,
Did you get any o’henry peaches last week? So good? I’m still getting their whites and also some of Ken’s top notch.

1 Like

What are these?

I saw this interesting looking greenery at F&F Farm Stand (aka the mushroom man) at the BHFM. There was name recognition, but I didn’t write it down because it didn’t dawn on me that I’d forget by the time I got home!

2 Likes

@TheCookie They look like a succulent annual weed called “purslane.” I’ve had it in fine dining dishes served as a garnish.

4 Likes

purslane?

2 Likes

verdolagas!

2 Likes

O’Baby! :hearts:

White Peach

I’m letting the peaches get really ripe to be on the safe side now. But, so far my strategy for helping to pick my own based on the chart is working! I might be getting on the Tenerelli’s nerves… they don’t act like it, but hey. :relaxed:

Dapple Dandy Pluots

Isn’t he dandy! :hearts:

Last Sunday’s White Peaches & Nectarines haven’t ripened yet. TBC…

10 Likes

Purslane! That’s it!

2 Likes

Gracias!

2 Likes

:drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face:

1 Like

@TheCookie

ken’s top notch produce

2 Likes

Perhaps a bit off-topic, but follow fpproducehunter on IG. She gives lots of insights on produce and sometimes even gives out measured brix of the fruits she talks about which is helpful since it’s an objective measurement of relative sweetness of each fruit.

Here’s a NYT article talking about her roaming the Santa Monica Farmer’s Market.

5 Likes

Awesome!

YOM!!! Verdolagas!!! They are awesome in Chile Verde (add them about 20 minutes from cooking time) or just chopped and sauteed with some scambled eggs (Chorizo optional, except in this house… ;)) It just has this wonderful flavor. One of my favorite things. I gotta go chase some down myself…

–Dommy!

2 Likes

Thanks for the ideas @dommy! I took a small raw bite and it was lemony & slightly slimy. Cooking is definitely needed. :grin:

From our Mid-City ‘hood the small Beverly Hills FM is a straight shoot west on San Vicente to Burton Way, wedged between the Po-po Dept, Library & Courthouse. They have a few of the popular designer stands, but mostly small gems & minority-run stands (delish tamales). Your friends, Crustees, started selling Pot Pies there last month. The only thing that’d make it perfect is if Tapia Bros came back, but they’re not doing FM this year. :cry: I’ve been meaning to do a full report on BH! So much food, so little time!

1 Like

YAY! They started at Farmers Markets… glad they are hustling to keep things going… I still pop by whenever I am in the area for Chili… I might go down there this Friday… LOL!! Thanks for the tip on the Farmers Market though! I haven’t been to one in over a month… My neighbor down the block did one of those front lawn to veggie garden things. It’s finally large and sustainable enough so that she and her daughter are doing at home delivery of items! It’s been amazing… But she doesn’t grow Purslane! :slight_smile:

People do eat it raw in salads… I can’t abide by it. it’s much better cooked and it retains some of that wonderful lemonny flavor. I have sauteed it on its own (with lots of shallot) and then added to grain/tiny pasta like Orzo, Bulghur and Quinoa. Lovely warm as a side or chilled for a salad.

2 Likes

Perfect!

Awesome! Gotta’ :hearts: California!

Love the article. I wanna’ follow Beverlin around like a bee!

2 Likes