Farmers markets closed

I personally feel a lot safer in the open air at a farmer’s market than the very few grocery store experiences I’ve had since this whole thing started.

This feels like we’re being ruled by celebrity twitter. Then again, maybe we were all along.

6 Likes

Not all markets were being irresponsible. :frowning: This only punishes the small markets that were doing a great job keeping things in order. le sigh

–Dommy!

1 Like

I’ve decided to stop buying groceries and go full bore on takeout. At this point it’s way safer, and will our takeout game ever be this good again?

Anyone know if Santa Monica farmers markets are still open?

The real game changer was going to Costco at 7:45pm on a weekday, 45 minutes before their 8:30pm closing.

Empty of people, still fully stocked (except for TP and water).

But they just took that away as they are now closing at 6:30.

2 Likes

No comment.

For now the Santa Monica Farmers markets are still open. Per their IG account, they replied to a question from a poster in their comments and basically said Garcetti was talking about the City of LA. They are their own city and believe their safety protocols have been effective, though they’ll look at additional social distancing measures. Phew, as IMHO, I would MUCH rather be shopping in an open air market than inside a grocery.

5 Likes
2 Likes

For what it’s worth, having been to last Wednesday’s SaMo FarMar, they definitely had more protocols in place than what I saw in that one instagram photo of the Brentwood market (barriers, markers of 6 feet for lines, no samples), but there were still maybe a bit more people around than I was comfortable with for more than a few minutes.

2 Likes

They’re only closed until they have social distancing plans approved. I imagine that approvals will happen pretty quickly.

Agreed. Both my local markets already had strong plans and one entrance one exit capabilities. But it’s just another hoop to jump through and uncertainty for the markets and the vendors.

Note… this has nothing to do with the Safer at Home protocol… instead it was obvious market manager failure here as there were too many vendors, too close together and unrestricted entrance to the entire market. All the “WTF?!?ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?” goes squarely to them as if I had driven past it myself… I would not have gone in…

3 Likes

Any group more than 10 is going to feel that way. That is why I go in with my list and go out. There will plenty of time to go chat it up with the vendors and any neighbor you see at the market after all this. Some folks are just not being mindful because they never were to begin with… It’s up to me to protect me.

2 Likes

Anyone got a CSA recommendation? Pickup or delivery.

1 Like

Our little local Venice farmers market has already done a pretty good job with enforcing social distancing. Plus it never has been super crowded like Brentwood, Santa Monica, etc. Fingers are crossed that they can get a formal plan in place by Friday.

I’m guessing this doesnt affect the Original FM at 3rd because it’s just an outdoor store… i dont think they operate under FM rules

1 Like

They will be open as they have been. I’ve been twice since the “lockdown” and overall it’s pretty quiet—easy to walk around and keep a safe distance from everybody. They’re also offering free parking now and what was once one of the worst parking lots in L.A. is now an easy in and out!

4 Likes

Correct. They all have fixed locations and can be visited by the Health Department at any time… where as Farmers Markets you kinda have a different deal and sort of ‘trust’ once you get your city permit to run. Essentially, they are using our public streets and spaces to do commerce, which again, so you need the city’s permission. That is what is so infuriating about this whole Brentwood situation (and I saw pics of Mar Vista the week before that that were somewhat similar). They are allowed because they are supposed to be a public good!

2 Likes

Yes it has been our savior

1 Like

We went past and were not going to go near it. Despite all the assurances earlier in the week, the crowds were still bad. I thought it was worse than any grocery I’ve been in the past week.

1 Like

Totally. When I saw the picture two weeks ago I’m surprised it didn’t blow up more… but it was nothing like those Brentwood shots…yeesh.

Even my neighborhood Superior (The Fancy “The Market” kind) had social distancing rules and were playing very thoughtful messages in english and spanish to be mindful of distance when you see someone in the aisle and not to horde. They installed these nifty sneeze guards at check out too.

–Dommy!

1 Like