Farmers markets / Produce in the San Fernando Valley

Next time you guys go to Olive or any other Armenian shop don’t forget to get our preserves and jams. I’m working with a large jar of Apricot which is phenomenal! Such freshness, nicely tart, hugely aromatic, not too sweet and the nicest surprise is that it still has the nut in it so it’s a nice ocasional crunch. Make sure you’re buying stuff made in Armenia though. Jar of 3.99 is 3 times bigger than what’s at an American shop for that price. I’ll get the brand later.

Yesterday it was joined by yogurt on top of our floofy pancakes. Then it was on top of vanilla ice cream… now it’s on top of my oatmeal

Bonus, the fruit as we know it today was originated in Apricot… Apparently even the scientific name of it is “Armenian Plum”… The way it tastes there is nothing like anything i’ve had elsewhere.

1 Like

Nice! I always drop one or two of those in each jar when I make my own. Makes a huge difference.

1 Like

Can you recommend a brand of rose petal preserves? When SO and I were young, I brought her a jar of them from a long-gone Armenian restaurant in SF (Omar Khayyam), and I’d love to repeat the gift, 45 years later.

5 Likes

I can do some tasting research but no I don’t have any suggestions. They’re cheap enough for you to try a couple others. I think Persians and Azeris (where I’m actually from) use rose more. These squeaky preserves are amazing

Try young walnut as well

2 Likes

Sweet @CeleryVictor!

2 Likes

The nectarines are ripe, sweet, juicy, good flesh, except they don’t look like white ones to me (no biggie). The pomegranates were unpleasant, mostly seed, no flesh. I ended up picking the nectarines out of the bowl and tossing the p seeds. Isn’t it pomegranate season? :smirk:

2 Likes

Next time you are exiled to our furnace definitely hit up Tapia Bros. The corn I have been getting there blows away everything I have had since southern Jersey farmstands. Its even better.

2 Likes

Oh sweet. Yah, some of the fruit was pretty good but I was a little more excited about the spices and the international grocery items at Super King. The taro root has been scarce so that was a good find too.

But the brand of the jam I was talking about is called “Nice”

2 Likes

Remember these? Part of my Super King haul.

Roasted w/EVOO, Garlic, Fish Sauce & Sugar

Chicken Breast Sandwich

Browned & Sautéed Butterflied Chix Breast (few minutes each side), Roasted Tomatoes (i use soft, not fresh tomatoes for roasting), Vegenaise, Toasted Grain Bread. Delicious!

11 Likes