Fast Food Thread

FWIW, we order the Double-Double Animal Style and the fries well done. The burger patty isn’t anything better than the national chains, but the lettuce and tomato are fresh and the onions (Animal) are sautéed, so the overall
package is pretty good for the price. It’s a guilty pleasure that’s (IMHO) head and shoulders above McD’s for one.

The fries? I’ve watched them toss potatoes in their machine and assume they use small potatoes because they’re really anemic. For a long time I thought they cut them cross-wise because they’re usually so small. Ordering them well done at least helps with the texture (unless they OVERdo them).

My combo of choice would be a Double Double Animal Style with fries from 5 Guys…… but the fries bag needs to be kept open so they don’t steam their way to limp. That’s the danger there.

3 Likes

Southern California definitely imo has a burger culture. Kinda like how pizza and bagels is to NYC. Its easily one of my favorite things to eat.

2 Likes

Because they use the actual tenderloin instead of cut up breasts.

1 Like

My two cents: I agree that the actual chicken strips are not likely to wow anyone, but I thought the sauce was very tasty (and not standard thousand island). I think the sauce and the Texas Toast are part of the allure, though I’m in no rush to go back.

4 Likes

The chowpups go there with their friends all the time.

Nothing says kids like fried chicken tenders, fries, umami-rich msg sauce, and insulin shock-inducing tea/lemonade.

6 Likes

I haven’t tried that, but I do notice a large difference at Cane’s, when you order their food to eat there vs takeout. Just a short time steaming in the plastic bag sogs those fingers out terribly (even if the bag is held open). Same deal with their fries, which aren’t even great to begin with IMO. On the other hand, I really do like the Cane’s sauce. The only problem with ordering in at Cane’s is of course, the COVID risk factor, so I only do that when the restaurant is either empty or almost empty. If it’s busy, I just turn around and come back another day. But that’s just me.

It’s not the best burger by any stretch, but IMO, it’s the best fast food burger, and the QPR can’t be beat. The cost of burgers (and everything else) at fast food chains has risen so much. I INO’s burgers are great, and I’m not just saying that because my son works there, and their prices don’t seem to have risen as much. Just my $0.02.

4 Likes

Tried this at Sonic today, pretty good if you like the Sour Patch Kids sourness

3 Likes

Ohhhhhh

1 Like

I was just telling someone we need more sonics in So. Cal. You would think Cherry Limeades and such would be more popular at our fast food joints because lemons grow everywhere here… ~Le Sigh~

5 Likes

I’m one of those ppl who don’t get the sonic allure. I think cherry limeade is pretty good but other than that their food is pretty meh? Only had it twice though

2 Likes

The limeades, etc. are pretty good at Sonic, and I like their ice, but the food is consistently lousy, IMO. Typical FF – precooked, assembled-to-order. That’s where InO shines – their food is all cooked to order.

2 Likes

I think their shakes with added bananas or strawberries are the best on the menu. Food is overall kinda meh especially the burgers, but sometimes they have solid deals (could be online or in-app only) like $2 footlong chili cheese dogs or half price shakes. Right now on the app, there’s a medium chili cheese fries or tots for $1 (use up to 5x in the order) and free medium Red Bull slush with any purchase. Slushes (not the Sour Patch one), lemonades, and sodas are always half off on the app too.

2 Likes

No, that pretty much describes Sonic and why it’s hard for them to compete here when we have so many home grown fast food places. I’m in only for the Cherry Limeades. Maybe some Chili tots.

2 Likes

Happy hour limeades with the baller nugget ice and a hot dog. Kinda like weinershniztel but with better drinks.

Other than that InO is superior to Sonics in every way

3 Likes

I have never had Sonic. A few years ago they announced they were opening all these restaurants in Los Angeles county and it turns out none of them were in the city of Los Angeles. I guess it’s too expensive for them to operate here

BUT… I miss these chains from back east…

Bojangles
White Castle
Krystal

1 Like

We buy White Castles aka WCBs frozen. Try to keep them on hand.

2 Likes

I had Sonic when driving cross country once (all their ads on football games finally worked out for them!) and it was legitimately awful. Out of 4 cross country drives may have been the single worst meal. Then I told all my friends from the Midwest this and they informed me it’s a drinks-only type of place.

4 Likes

Not exactly fast food but for cross country drives/long drives Cracker Barrel is my spot.

4 Likes

I wrote off Cracker Barrel back in the 90s when they got all insistent about their ‘family values’ and homophobia.

I don’t like biscuits and gravy enough to have investigated whether it’s safe to go back.

6 Likes