Favorite high quality tuna?

Oh good! They are super tasty. I’m not much of a snacky person… but I always got these at the Pepperdine Student Store just to have and was always glad I did. They are rather filling, they have a twinge of sweetness and are super munchy so they hit a lot of points. Enjoy!

2 Likes

lobster bake?

2 Likes

Oh yes, they’ll complete my collection. :blush:

2 Likes

From the NYT Cooking Section; if you don’t subscribe and would like the recipe, let me know. (I’m unsure if it can be accessed through a library membership.)

1 Like

Sounds wonderful! It looks like a mix of my favorite Sushi Rice Salad… but with Tuna!

–Dommy!

1 Like

Sometimes non-subscribers can access articles by Googling the title.

Too hot to cook, ha.

1 Like

Had a hankering tonight.

This definitely does not fit this gourmet tuna thread, but from my days in the business, one of my favorite brands of albacore was good old Geisha (right on, @TheCookie ) For chunk light, Polar.

The regular brands of chunk light are now all bits of tuna with a gallon of water. But not Polar.

Best of all, about $1 to $1.25 per can. Feels like you get twice as much tuna per can as well.

5 Likes

Another can of Polar. After draining the little bit of water this is what you get. And they call this “chunk light.” More like “solid light.”

5 Likes

I keep meaning to order another box of Katys… then I think… Let me try this Tuna… and then I want to order a box of Katys…

This month’s try was Tuna from Fish Wife. I had seen this Tuna around and Locale started offering it, so I gave it a shot.

I had planned to make a pesto pasta salad (I recently became aware of the shape of Mini Penne which seems just PEFECT for pasta salad). But when I looked on the can, it said the tuna was smoked! ARGH!!! I really started to miss my Katys now…

Still, I trudged forth. I popped open the can and was happy the aroma of smoke was slight. I’m not a big fan of smoked items. Even Pollo a La Brasa is too smoked for me. Still, instead of succulent flakes of tuna. It looked pretty smoked to me…

I was worried I just got a can of tuna jerky… But luckily there was a fair amount of juice and oil at the bottom of the can. That I flaked in another bowl before adding it to my pesto pasta, that like Katys, that little bit of juice just really brought the tuna back to life. I actually looked great!

Now to my pesto salad. I often times make Pesto. But I actually REALLY like the pesto from Pasta Sisters. It comes in this concentrated pesto puck of basil, garlic and cheese with a bit of oil to stick it all together. They recommend to loosen it up with pasta water. But I loosen it up with good olive oil instead. :smiling_imp: It’s always just the yummiest pesto…

But how was it, especially with the smoked tuna…

It was quite good! The smoke taste was a light as I hoped. It was there but it did not clash or over power the pesto. Instead it was as if I had tossed in a few bacon bits in the salad. Which isn’t everyone’s jam… but is actually really good.

This is the type of meals I love to have on hand. I have one more can of Brujula to make
Nicoise Salad next week. Then for sure… I’m ordering that Katys…

7 Likes

You just revealed one of my FTC confessions. I don’t like overly smoked foods.

Your pesto tuna pasta salad looks great. Thanks for a new tuna tip. I miss Katy’s too which you also turned me onto. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Add me to your “don’t like overly smoked food” group. I don’t mind a little smoke, but a little goes a long way for me. It’s one of the big reasons I prefer tequila to mezcal. I’ve tasted way too may mezcals that were way over-smoked. Luckily, I’m seeing that trend begin to moderate.

3 Likes

I agree. A touch of smokiness is nice. I’m on board with tequila over mezcal too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Seems to me that smoking is more appropriate for fatty fish such as salmon and mackerel, not a great idea for tuna.

Nobody does! Overly generous is about the only overly that’s not a bad thing.

1 Like

Okay, I don’t like overly generous smoked foods.

Smoked tuna is awesome, but I’ve never had it canned. Lots of appetizing stores make it.

1 Like

The only product I can think of that I might call overly smoked is Benton’s bacon. Its smokiness is kind of like Scotch Bonnet peppers’ spiciness, one slice might be enough for a big pot of whatever.

1 Like

Zingerman’s is having their big summer sale but it’s ending today. This is where I’ve bought the Ortiz Spanish tuna in a carton of 12.

But I’ve been told it’s sold at World Market at not a lot more than the can price in a case.

1 Like

Currently even cheaper on Amazon at $5.50 a can in the six pack

1 Like

Here is my favorite;

Here is what it looks like out of the can;

and in a salade Nicoise

I get it at Epicurus. I don’t remember the price, but its not astronomical.

6 Likes

Nice looking plate

1 Like