Favorite Indonesian in Greater LA/OC?

My recent visit to Ramanyani was not so good. Soup was served at room temperature.

1 Like

The Banana Leaf in Temple City? ā€¦or are you referring to the Farmerā€™s Market restaurant known as Singaporeā€™s Banana Leaf?

Be sure to check out Singkawang, Wong Java House and Kalimantan.

Yes, Noodle Stars. Theyā€™ve sold Janty Noodle and now just have the Monrovia location. I had the chicken congee (bubur ayam) and another dish there, quite good.

1 Like

Hicksvillesā€¦
Denpasar/Population 788,589 (2010)
The population of Bali is 4,292,200 (2018)
Riau/Population 6,835,098 (2019)

I suggest you stop embarrassing yourself as it relates to Indonesian cuisine

1 Like

i prefaced my comment as being SGV centic so i assumed folks would understand that i meant the one in temple city.

1 Like

He told me to try Banana Leaf in Temple City one.

Iā€™ve been to Night + Market Song in Silver Lake many, many times, and the crowd is insanely diverse there. Not just white people.

1 Like

Itā€™s been a while since this thread came upā€¦ maybe itā€™s time for a re-examination of Indonesian Food as I love it.

To be honestly, I havenā€™t explored it much recently either. I have been more than happy with the occasional Fooda stops that Simpang Asia has been doing to our office park (Itā€™s such a deal!). Further I was spoiled by having an old co-workerā€™s wife being Indonesian. She loved to cook for us (We were a tight knit bunch) and she always made sure she had a an extra container of her Randang, coconut rice and gado gado for me whenever our paths would cross. Her cooking wasnā€™t gourmet or refinedā€¦ but it was delicious none the lessā€¦

So last week Hubs was watching some YouTube travel videos and one of the guys was in Kuala Lampur and they had this sticky coconut rice cooked in bamboo tubes which looked amazing. So when I crossed paths with a post from SoCal Indo Food and they had a similar looking item, I had to order! Since it was a at home delivery situation, I had to order additional foodsā€¦ so I also gotā€¦

Nasi Goreg with Fried Chicken

Now, we got our delivery right at lunch time. The items were touch warm. But not super warm enough to eat. They were well packaged (as you can see cling film), mostly to keep the items warm but also to keep them from spilling in the nice BMW the guys were driving around with. The guys communicated really well and were VERY sweet. For what we paid all in, we felt the portions were generousā€¦

This dish was very good. Again, we reheated it and it did fine in the microwave. It was flavorful and SPICY. The chicken was also a large leg, very meaty and the batter was still slightly crisp. But it did suffer from being pre-cooked and packed up.

Lemper Ayam

As you can see, itā€™s not in Bamboo tubes but in a packet. In Indonesia they are wrapped in leaves almost like a Musubi. Also they are much more interesting because they are stuffed with shredded chicken!

I reheated these in a steamer for a five minutes and they came back to life really nicely. Now, was it worth the effort to get theseā€¦ yes. Would I order againā€¦ maybeā€¦ It has a flavor profile that always gets me, sweet and then savory. Believe me, I like sweet meat dishes like Char Siu and chicken and waffles. But this was like eating a spoonful of curry and chasing it with a cookie. I can TOTALLY see how this would be a comfort dish for some folksā€¦ it hits all the right notes and it was delicious. Just not exactly what I expectingā€¦

I also ordered the curry, Kare Ayam. I was sad that they didnā€™t offer Randang so I ordered it in hopes it would scratch that itchā€¦ sadlyā€¦ it did not. The curry was thin and honestly quite greasy (I had to skim quite a bit of fat from the top). There was a good amount of chicken in it, but the egg was over cooked to oblivion. Would pass.

Finally, to get a sense of the menu, we ordered the cream puffs.

In the menu picture, they looked more like Pate Choux. But they were a more cakeyā€¦ The bake was nice, and the pastry cream decent. It wasnā€™t too sweet, it kinda reminded of tres leches cake more than coconut though. Very lovely with Jasmine Tea.

Overall, I am glad I tried it. I waited to post this today as a full 24 hours have passed and Iā€™m still standing (just to alay some worries about ordering from a home kitchen). If you havenā€™t check it outā€¦ hereā€™s an article from a month or so ago from the LATimes talking about the growth of these home kitchen enterprises. I had no problem with it since I had a lot of co-workers before all this went down ordering Keto Lunches from these types of outfitsā€¦ but now they have expanded to way beyond that.

Re: @TheCookie @hungryhungryhippos

8 Likes

Iā€™m a regular customer of SoCal Indo. Never had any food safety issues from them before. Come to think of it, none of the home kitchens Iā€™ve ordered from have been problematic in terms of cleanliness/safety, in my experience.

3 Likes

Yeah. I canā€™t imagine that there would be many purposeful lapses with a home kitchen enterprise. People forget what kinda complete up ENDING cooking at this scale can bring to a home kitchen. You invest a lotā€¦ in ingredients, in supplies (Take out containers and such) and TIME. When word of mouth is your only way to growā€¦ Iā€™d imagine you try to be up and up as much as possible (Also, some of the services mentioned in the article actively train their home cooks). In addition, my cousin runs also home kitchen baking enterprise so Iā€™m apt support these little guys bringing something new to the table.

1 Like

Yā€™all are slipping on here; apparently Kasih closed back in early March, and this is the most recent thread with any mention of them. Too bad, I liked them (didnā€™t love them, didnā€™t try enough of their food to go that far), but it was a nice enough place and the cocktails were on point.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9mOTciBm8y/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Yeah, that space changed to this, right?
https://www.yelp.com/biz/lokels-only-los-angeles?osq=local

I walked by it early in the pandemic and was curious what they were about. After some cursory research they seem like worthwhile business.

I just passed it this morning and theyā€™re currently building out a patio out front. All signage for Kasih is down though. Looks like Lokels Only is gone too, because that corner has been unoccupied for a few weeks.

1 Like

:smile:: 'nuff said, sign of the times. Bagus bagus

They deliver to LA, OC and even out to Palm Springs. I have no idea if the food is authentic or good but been researching more home delivery options.

https://socalindo.com/socal-indo-catering/?fbclid=IwAR2xO29ShTSHWU4uMcQIl9FTNgkQ5j0k5xGqsQrmhfw-oHLGMyyQNbsGMXU

1 Like

from the ā€œabout usā€

ā€œā€¦born to an Indo Dutch/Belgian/Chinese father and a Manadonese motherā€¦ā€

would have been more impressed if the mother had been a Mandalorian.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll vouch. Theyā€™re legit.

1 Like