Favorite instant noodles?

12 Likes

Ichiran take-home kit

Sometimes they’re a few bucks cheaper at Tokyo Central.

5 Likes

My wife says the A-Sha brand is the same manufacturer of noodles that David Chang MJD brand uses. You can see and taste the similarities.

My son loves the Indomie spicy Mi Goreng.

5 Likes

@thechez5 is the Maggi spicy?

The particular A-Sha noodles in the photo and the Momofuku noodles (made by A-Sha) have to be boiled for four minutes and drained.

14 posts were split to a new topic: “Instant” noodles that you have to boil for four minutes: threat or menace

Mi Lau Thai
Mama Tom Yum

Prima Taste Laksa
Tung-I
Nissin K-Noodles

Costco
A-Sha
Snapdragon Pho

Medan Kitchen
Huge selection of Indomie flavors

I think you should be able to find many of them in the Asian supermarkets in SGV too

3 Likes

Not at all. I mainly enjoy it for nostalgic reasons.

This uses up all the old seafood from my freezer

Can’t forget the GOAT

8 Likes

Am I the ONLY one that will still stan for Good ol’ Top Ramen or Oodles of Noodles?

Yes, its fried starch and a 1/4 tsp of dried bullion, but they are 1) still super SUPER cheap. I can’t quite find them on special for $0.10/ea anymore, but you can still find 'em for a $0.25/ea if you get one of the bulk cardboard trays.

Throw in an egg, some chopped green onion, a splash of sesame oil or hot sauce, and that’s a hot, relatively nourishing meal for less than $1. And sometimes, a little flavored broth and some easily digestible starch are just the thing for delicate tummies, which, thanks to the stress about everything else, seem far more of a consideration than they have been in the past.

Those A-SHA ones look awful good, though.

2 Likes

“And sometimes, a little flavored broth and some easily digestible starch are just the thing for delicate tummies, which, thanks to the stress about everything else, seem far more of a consideration than they have been in the past.”

@lectroid - Oh YES. We do it just as you described - topped with a drizzle of sesame oil, some chopped green onion and a sliced hard boiled egg. Many times I’ll cook some sliced cabbage or chopped bok choy with the noodles. It’s healing to have something so cheap and yet tasty.

My best cheap find? The 99 cents store had 12 pack boxes of these noodles, only the spicy shrimp flavor (I guess they weren’t a big seller) for 99¢. For the BOX.

My husband did not like the broth but enjoyed the noodles so I swapped in powdered Maggi chicken broth and carried on.

And if I am being fancy? These noodles that I get at Litttle Tokyo Market at 3rd and Alameda), in homemade broth with veggies and top as above. They are so much fun to eat - its nice to eat noodles that make you smile.

4 Likes

Instant noodles are just a vehicle for scallions, garlic,and ginger with hot oil poured over, a little vinegar and soy, pinch of sugar, a runny egg or 2, a dollop of Momofuku chilli crunch, and some blanched greens.

7 Likes

Absolutely. Kinda like this?

2 Likes

Tomago Kake from Serious Eats

1. I have also used instant ramen instead of rice for this, and it’s fabulous.

2. when Kenji showed this on his YouTube channel a while back, he kept hinting it was generally known by another name which he wouldn’t say.

That name, it turns out, is ‘bukkake’, which literally translates to ‘covered with liquid’

It used to refer to noodle/rice dishes like the above…

It means something else these days. Google at your own risk.

6 Likes

Shin ramen black is indeed still the goat but we also enjoy these newer brands @mrgreenbeenz. The noodles are very good.

3 Likes

Ooh, yes!

The noodles have a good body and chew. One I honestly don’t feel compelled to add anything else to it. Worth tracking down IMO, although I have not seen the Hakka noodle version restocked at Costco for a while now.

1 Like

Ditto. I add some green onions, soft egg and whatever other protein I have around. I’ll also usually throw some type of chili crunch for extra spice.

1 Like

Not terrible but I wouldn’t buy them again. Tasted slightly rancid.

Not really on topic, but in my limited (Momofuku 3X, Momofuku Noodle Bar 1X) David Chang’s restaurants have never done it for me.