Favorite Non-Noodle Soups? (Chowders, too.)

no mention of the gamjatang from hamji park?

1 Like

one of my favs

The weather is so cold and I want soup! I got a good idea where to get fried chicken, though my friend really wants soup.

Any recommendations 4 years later?

1 Like

Is this for the OC like your fried chicken post?

Yes. I’d love recommendations for all kinds of hot soup.

warrior:

Sabor Colombiano: ajiaco santafereño
Gamja Bawi: sujaebi or bookuhgook

I like all of the soups at Connie and Ted.

My favorite soup source is Clementine, particularly their Beef Borscht. Almost all of the soup is good.

And that Red Lentil soup at the WF soup center, regularly available on Amazon Fresh.

1 Like

Gamja tang from ham ji park just had it for dinner so damn good

2 Likes

sul lang tang - often served with noodles, but it’s about the broth - and the ritual of seasoning it to taste with salt, pepper & green onion. sun nong dan (at least the one in the SGV does) has a breakfast special until 10:30am of your choice of four soups, including sul lang tang, do ga ni tong (with HUGE chunks of tendon), tta roh guk bap (beef brisket wih dried cabbage) & yuk gae jang (spicy beef & leek) with come with your choice of brown or white rice (always get the brown rice), 3 banchans, $12 to go (including tax & service charge). or eat it there.

also: technically a stew, budae jiggae (army surplus stew which koreans made with leftover army surplus after the korean war including things like ramen & spam, etc.) if you make it on the table, it’s a combination shabu shabu/hot pot/soup/stew that’s a lot better than it deserves to be based on the ingredients. chunju han-il kwan is the place to get it in ktown.

4 Likes

Sopa de mariscos at Holbox.

3 Likes

Clam chowder at Lobster & Beer is pretty good and inexpensive

+1 for the seafood stew at Holbox
Beef Noodle Soup at Corner Beef Noodle House and my local Northern Cafe.

1 Like

Myung Dong Kal Gooksoo in Anaheim. The knife cut noodles and rice cake soup hit the spot. They only have 2 ban chans but they knock it out of the park with both. Regular cabbage kimchee and a white pickled kimchee. Many refills.

The only bad part of the trip was finding out Penzeys in Anaheim is permanently closed. I needed to get a bunch of spices.

1 Like