Favorite picnic items

The sun is shining, the weather is predicted to be great and we have wildflowers that abound in the foothill around the Bay area. I’m thinking of pulling together a picnic lunch to enjoy with friends. What are some of your favorite things to bring to a picnic to eat?

3 Likes

Are you talking about things that we actually cook?

Yes, please.

I love vinaigrette-based salads since you don’t have to worry as much about refrigeration. My favorite is a roasted corn salad with avocado and cherry tomatoes and a cilantro-lime dressing. I’ve also done a antipasto-inspired pasta salad with roasted red peppers, artichokes, cherry tomatoes, sliced Italian deli meats and cheeses…that one is a meal in that of itself.
I actually started a potluck thread a while back that may apply here, too.

2 Likes

What kind of corn? I seriously prefer white so it’s a seasonal thing for me.

BTW, I think it was from CH that I found out that commercial mayo really isn’t a problem as far as getting sick. You may not like warm mayo but that’s a different issue.

What are your favorite things to take to a picnic? :slight_smile:

That’s why I asked if she was talking about things we cook. I take things like meats, cheeses, olives and the like. And sparkling wine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, me too.

I go with @catholiver’s idea (dips, meats, cheeses, olives, crostini, crackers, cookies, fruit). But if cooking is the goal I’d do what @attran99 suggested… and if you’re feeling ambitious fry some chicken too. Nothing says picnic like cold, fried chicken.

2 Likes

If I were going to ‘assemble’ something then maybe this

4d

Not cooking but assembling :slight_smile: I was at Molinari’s Deli in SF quite a few years ago and bought a tin of Ortiz tuna. One of the guys working there suggested mixing it with some capers, finely chopped red onion and cilantro (or parsley if you prefer). S&P and I add just a tiny bit of Champagne vinegar. A great little app.

@TheCookie, maybe I’m the only one on the planet but I loathe cold or even room temp fried chicken. Well, maybe not “loathe.” If served it I would eat it :slight_smile:

I just saw this new & interesting idea on What’s Cooking?

2 Likes

This is probably my favorite thing to do for a picnic. The only other thing needed is maybe some bread and definitely some wine (plus dessert). A greek orzo salad is great too. I also love deviled eggs as a picnic item (and the above mentioned fried chicken).

3 Likes

DEVILED EGGS!!! (Oh sigh, the site wants more words.)

1 Like

Oh you are so funny - to me it’s an old idea, I have been doing it for so long :upside_down_face: Potato frittatas transport like a dream. Just make them in the am or the day before, so they can be fully chilled, pre cut them and in the hour or so it takes to get to the Bowl, they have come to room temp but are not hot - perfect.

And one time I did the Serious Eats no knead focaccia with that… Fresh bread that you can tear and eat with your hands? My girlfriend’s kids were over the moon.

2 Likes

Off-topic a bit but your comment about eating bread made me laugh. I made “my” bread again today and have been picking it up and nibbling around the edges for a couple of hours. Wonder why I’m not hungry for dinner :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d be too.

1 Like

Put that in a giant sourdough roll and you have the perfect picnic/road food!

1 Like

The best sandwich I’ve ever had:

Agree. We bought one in Boston, took it on a long bus trip to see friends, it was mashed, neglected - and still one of the best sandwiches I’ve ever had.

I put it in the fridge overnight with two CI skillets on top. And…shh…I’ve carried it on airplanes with no smell (of tuna anyway) and flight attendants were trying to buy it from me :slight_smile:

1 Like