Favorite picnic items

What about a couple of these (that aren’t messy)?

Thanks for all your input. the day turned out to be wonderful. I made a frittata with ham, cheese and diced potato, chicken salad with tarragon, shrimp salad with basil with bread, deviled eggs, various salumi for the pick and nibblers, a rice salad and lots of wine. .

5 Likes

Sounds like you had a crowd! All sounds terrific.

1 Like

Thank you. There were six of us in total kind of an early Mother’s Day birthday celebration.

1 Like

Could you talk a bit about the chicken and shrimp salad please?

Sure. The chicken salad is a somewhat classic with chicken breasts that are poached in water or chicken broth and then diced. Then you add in mayonnaise chopped tarragon sliced almonds and dried cranberries all to your liking. The shrimp salad was using Frozen cooked shrimp usually about a 50 to 70 per pound with mayonnaise a bit of Dijon mustard 2 splashes of white wine vinegar salt pepper fresh dill that has been minced a small amount of red onion minced as well as a small amount of celery that’s been minced in mixed all together. This recipe is pretty much a classic Ina Garten but it’s a huge hit. Yes and I know they’re both mayonnaise-based which some people question on a picnic but with enough ice packs in the cooler it’s more than fine.

2 Likes

I love tarragon and I love all the mincing :slight_smile: Also, as an fyi, I found out on CH that commercial mayo is almost completely safe. Thanks so much. I’m in the mood :slight_smile:

1 Like

Enjoy!

No judgment at all on the mayo. It can just be rough to work with at picnics, so some folks just avoid it to make their lives easier. So glad you were able to enjoy a nice day outside.

Not sure what that means.