Favorite Restaurants San Fernando Valley (SFV)?

Ok, went to Papa’s Deli inside Cabana Liquor in Sherman Oaks.

Just opened today.

50% OFF all sandwiches this week.

For some reason, my sister who eats at Brent’s decided to try the corned beef sandwich.

So she said it’s like getting corned beef from the deli counter at the market. They panini pressed the bread.

I got the Italian combo on “ciabatta”.

This sandwich felt like it weighed two pounds. Massive. I figured it was from super dense bread. Yes, I was correct.

Super piled on. Cotto salami, spicy capicola ham, genoa salami, provolone, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pepperoncini, pickles, black olives, and Italian dressing.

Bread was dense and cold. REALLY needed some kind of treatment. Meat was decent, and won’t be confused for what you’ll get at Uncle Paulies, Bay Cities or Italia.

Hey $5 with the discount what can you say.

I’ll give them another shot with a sub roll or other bread.

EDIT: I put the entire sandwich, kept it closed, and put it in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes. Game changer. Cheese got melty but the tomatoes stayed cool, bread crisped up! NOW WE’RE TALKING!!

9 Likes

This is how I improved the sandwich.

Still, seriously bready. But the oven toasting…

1 Like

Thanks for the intel.

I deleted my bookmark.

1 Like

Sorry for the false hope.

And are the meats cut too thick?

Maybe a tad on the thick side. Wasn’t so bad. Just so bready didn’t pay much attention to anything else.

I wonder if it was because it was a weekend? Maybe they don’t get fresh bread on weekends LOL. I don’t know. They have sub rolls, maybe that’s the way to go.

Salsa & Beer coming to Calabasas on Las Virgenes? Right on the way to/from Malibu.

Not San Fernando Valley but their other locations are.

4 Likes

I’m going to be in Calabasas for most of the day - confined to my car. Does anyone have a favorite sandwich, etc out that way for not too sloppy in-car eating?

Departure point is Boyle Heights - most of day at various locations in the car.

Thanks!

It is a few miles north of Calabasas, but I’d recommend a gyro at
New York Chicken & Gyro in Canoga Park. I love their rice platters, especially compared to Halal Guys.

5 Likes

Bang bang with hard shelled al pastor tacos from El Taco Llama next door.

2 Likes

Calabasas is pretty vast. Are you talking near the commons or Las Virgenes?

Dan’s Super Subs (though i guess subs can get messy). Ventura Blvd 1/2 block west of Shoup in Woodland Hills. The bread is sub bread, so you can’t expect Italia Deli or Bay Cities bread. Just a real sub. Loaded with meat and cheese.

The Stand is there in the Commons. Good dogs.

You could do the old breakfast for lunch kind of thing and get takeout from Bobby’s

…or Blu Jam
https://www.blujamcafe.com/

…or Nat’s Early Bite

All those places are in Woodland Hills right on the border of Calabasas.

Just thought of this, also. If you get off at DeSoto and head west on Ventura, Lodge Bread is there. Pick up something and hop back on the freeway.

https://www.lodgebread.com/menu

You could go extra sloppy and get Boiling Crab off Mulholland/Valley Circle LOL

1 Like

On the way there, you could pick up a falafel lafa at Joe’s Falafel in Studio City. On Cahuenga/Ventura, near the Universal exit off 101. I’ve eaten many of those in my car, both driving and not! One of the best falafel in LA, great homemade lafa.

https://www.joesfalafella.com/

5 Likes

Furn Saj just opened their third location in Calabasas. Have not tried this one yet but at the others a chicken shawarma wrap on their amazing bread should hold up pretty well for car eating.

6 Likes

What are you favorite items on the menu?

At least at the Granada Hills location, their bread skills are terrific so anything baked is almost assuredly delicious. The saj bread makes those chicken shawarmas extra good (ask for more toum!). I would also have a hard time not re-ordering the olive mix mana’ish and saroukh boat on further visits.

5 Likes

The saroukh with cheese is to die for, as is basically anything baked to order. I love adding chicken shwarma to mine as well, it is amazing. The falafel is also top notch.

2 Likes

Cool, had no idea they opened a new location! Thanks for the tip!!

Where in Calabasas is it located? Their website doesn’t mention it yet.

Thank you all! I was near Lovi’s Delicatessen, however within two gated communities. I decided to stay within ithe communities, and munch on my emergency almonds in my car.

On the way home I stopped at Joe’s Falafel. I got a falafel pita, a chicken thigh lafa, and a vegetarian sampler. FANTASTIC, and I only found it because of these recommendations. In the sampler I was partiuclarly impressed by the baba ghanouj and the pink cabbage. I wish I had thought to ask for any homemade hot sauce for the falafel. I’m already wondering when I can make another trip there and eat more. Thank you!

Today I’ll be back out that way - in Calabasas but on the other side of the mountain. I’m very sorry, I’m not sure of local landmarks, neighborhood nicknames, etc. I will likely have another car meal and will update.

10 Likes

26791 Agoura Road

1 Like

dessert in the same strip mall

or
https://sunlife-organics.speedetab.com/venues/867

1 Like