Favorites at Trader Joe's?

Pancake Bread. Doesn’t really taste like pancakes unless you heat it up and eat it with some butter. It’s pretty damn delicious that way, imo.

2 Likes

I was super skeptical, but it was really good. Moist and buttery. Even a couple of days after. Someone coated it in french toast mix and fried it in butter… Ridiculous…

2 Likes

They were sampling that recently with maple syrup and a couple of blueberries. I was surprised just how good it was. And she was saying that she cuts in three or four pieces and freezes and her husband just grabs one.

1 Like

Maybe I’d like the Pancake Bread better doctored up, but I sampled it room temp and plain, and it tasted like pound cake or a less exciting version of coffee cake. If I didn’t know it was supposed to taste like pancakes, I never would have made the association.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the main complaint. But in general for Supermarket loaf cake, it’s got great texture and good taste.

1 Like

Agreed, which is why I like it hot and doused with some good European salted butter. My SO added maple syrup and he said that was good, too.

I keep seeing people say that they made French toast with it, but it just seems way too crumbly for me to even attempt that.

1 Like

A few nights ago, we shared one. We weren’t all that hungry and it was plenty. We intend to keep them on hand.

Comparing the new-to-me $6 Fortune Cove with the $7 reigning champion Picton Bay, the FC is good but I like the PB enough more to pay the extra buck. I find it kind of nuts that they have so many brands of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc.

1 Like

Thanks for turning me on to the Picton Bay. My wife is a Marlborough SV fanatic, and this is what we’re drinking most of the time now.

Good to know. We like SV also.

Just had the shu mai for the first time and they were darn tasty. I followed the instructions on the package and three minutes was right.

1 Like

Has anyone tried the frozen Italian style meatballs and are they any good?

1 Like

me—I usually have a bag in my freezer. They’re decent (although not as good as picking up meatballs @ an Italian deli). I use them to make meatball sandwiches, sliced on frozen pizza and occasionally pasta/meatballs.

I think they’re best as meatball sandwiches—marinara sauce, mozzarella (or provolone), pepperoncinis (and mushrooms and onions if I have them around). Don’t overcook them or they get tough on the outside.

Mighty tasty version. Next time I’m going to luxe it up with some carabineros

5 Likes

I’ve always had an aversion to things where the shrimp/etc is cooked/heated twice but if you recommend I’ll have to try.

1 Like

Same here… I would have totally skipped this… but now it might be dinner for this Lenten Friday…

1 Like

The shrimp & seafood is packaged raw (maybe not the mussels) and product comes from France.

Tip: If you’re trying to achieve some soccarrat, remove seafood prior to cooking and add later as the liquid has reduced significantly.

5 Likes

Thanks for the pro tip. May have to snag one.

1 Like

I’ve done that when reheating, say, pasta that I had previously cooked Reheat that for longer then briefly the shrimp. Thanks for the continued help

2 Likes

This is good too. OG paratha from India

1 Like